UN climate report: Scientists release 'survival guide' to avert climate disaster

_129041813_374a58eafa7dc1c6d16867a7e2ab5
WWW.BBC.COM

Technology is providing solutions but the climate forecast is worsening, scientists say in major report.

In response to the findings, UN secretary general Antonio Guterres says that all countries should bring forward their net zero plans by a decade. These targets are supposed to rapidly cut the greenhouse gas emissions that warm our planet's atmosphere.

"There is a rapidly closing window of opportunity to secure a liveable and sustainable future for all," the report states.

Governments had previously agreed to act to avoid global temperature rise going above 1.5C. But the world has already warmed by 1.1C and now experts say that it is likely to breach 1.5C in the 2030s.

This Is Fine GIF

13 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Finally, an executive summary that can be ignored/glad handed more swiftly! :daydream:

I disagree with the first sentence in the article. It frames as we have the technology it needs to just be more widespread.

There seems to be a lack of political will and that might be caused by cope. My hypothesis is that we are in this position because the climate can't handle 300 million people in the US living as wastefully as we are. People want to keep this because they like it (or they think they like it) and want to preserve out climate. Those goals seem to be incompatible because we wouldn't be having this problem if the could handle the lifestyles of developed nations. 

Someone please tell me I'm wrong because the only logical conclusion I can draw from our borderline complete lack of action is our ecosystem finds a new equilibrium with the temps that are rising and it doesn't involve 8 billion+ humans on it.

Edit: Am slightly annoyed at getting banned from resetera. I am new to actually expressing myself and I want to make sure I don't appear combative because that's the only reason what I wrote would trigger a ban I think. I'm not trying to be a contrian. I feel this way about climate change for now and I could be wrong but climate change seems kinda grim dark for example. Well the consequences of ignoring it anyway.

I've always taken it as a given that the one thing mankind is worst at is "truth" or facts. We are story tellers, and we've always told stories to move things along. Now we face a global problem that can't be swayed by stories and so we will fail forward with an ever pressurizing crucible that will forge us anew. Should be quite awful. 

1 minute ago, SimpleG said:

Don't be. It's mostly whining shit bags over there. Regardless of how you post someone will get their dick in a twist over it.

You are right. I just feel offended. I didn't say hey go Putin genocide Ukrainians. I'm asking is continued support of Ukraine without what appears to be a peace process in place going on and that you can't call a capitalist (Ben from Ben and Jerry's) a tankie. He probably just wants the war to end ASAP for cash money reasons that we don't know about or something. I avoid Ukraine threads cuz it's literally 2003 you want the terrorists to win if we don't invade Iraq levels of tension. Ill just keep avoiding news on it and wait for it to end and the clarity that may bring. 

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I've always taken it as a given that the one thing mankind is worst at is "truth" or facts. We are story tellers, and we've always told stories to move things along. Now we face a global problem that can't be swayed by stories and so we will fail forward with an ever pressurizing crucible that will forge us anew. Should be quite awful. 

Ya I want to see my ex-wife but like even if we don't work out. By not doing anything people are saying ya it's okay anyone you know and care about in the global south is a necessary sacrifice. How am I ever gonna be just cool with that. I have mine materially. I don't want you to not have yours. 

Our species needs therapy and education focused on helping you be who you want to be and not just a worker for someone else.

Ok ya im annoyef still about being perma banned im gonna smoke some weed and keep my mouth shut lol

I decided to check up on what greenhouse gasses are coming from where. And what a bleak fucking result Google gave me:

image.png

54 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

I disagree with the first sentence in the article. It frames as we have the technology it needs to just be more widespread.

There seems to be a lack of political will and that might be caused by cope. My hypothesis is that we are in this position because the climate can't handle 300 million people in the US living as wastefully as we are. People want to keep this because they like it (or they think they like it) and want to preserve out climate. Those goals seem to be incompatible because we wouldn't be having this problem if the could handle the lifestyles of developed nations. 

Your comment is why I did the search. I don't think you're advocating Malthusian population control, but that's the endpoint a lot of people get to when "too many people" starts getting thrown around. Our Capitalist consumption economy is part of what's at issue here. 

Overview of U.S. Greenhouse Gas Emissions in 2020

Almost 80% of the emissions are CO2. That's where we start to make the biggest difference. Of that CO2, 2/3 is electric power and transportation. We definitely do have the technology to put a big dent in this by prioritizing electric public transit, personal electric vehicles, electric intercity and interstate trains, and a nuclear-based power sector. Switching to electric heat pumps instead of gas powered furnaces will hit residential emissions. No clue what Industry uses there are, but I'm betting it's fuel for heat in processes. There isn't a ton we can do about that technologically, that I know of, outside of reducing consumption. 

2020 U.S. Carbon Dioxide Emissions, By Source

Here's the whole info page: 

epa-standard-twitter.jpg
WWW.EPA.GOV

Information on emissions and removals of the main greenhouse gases to and from the atmosphere.

It actually is possible, technologically, to reduce our GHG output. Every country on earth can. The question you rightly pointed out is one of political will and infrastructure cost. And that's the major hurdle as the governments are in lock step with Capitalist modes of production. 

As much as population has the ability to shift the market, the problem isn't the amount of people, but the resource expenditure for the population. No one's surprised that supermarkets dump tons of perfectly good food out due to 'liability concerns'. But the whole extraction and industry part, along with commerce operate in as simplistic, pennypinching means that promote the global hegemony rather than take the shortest road, often to the detriment of intermediate/long term revenue, because who has the time for that? We're failing in sustainability because there is no pressure in the markets, and the only real moving part of our global society seems to be the all mighty dollar.

8 minutes ago, unogueen said:

As much as population has the ability to shift the market, the problem isn't the amount of people, but the resource expenditure for the population. No one's surprised that supermarkets dump tons of perfectly good food out due to 'liability concerns'. But the whole extraction and industry part, along with commerce operate in as simplistic, pennypinching means that promote the global hegemony rather than take the shortest road, often to the detriment of intermediate/long term revenue, because who has the time for that? We're failing in sustainability because there is no pressure in the markets, and the only real moving part of our global society seems to be the all mighty dollar.

My boy told me socialized medicine is a bad idea because there isn't enough money to go around. Not actual things with inherent value. Doctors, equipment, medicines, etc. But pieces of paper, metal coins, and 1s and 0s on a computer. 

Also brb my dog is probably dying. I am happy in and of myself but damn does life still suck hard. I need to determine if maybe a maligant 1 in a million tumor might have actually been preferable. Though i can't make it not preferable if I'm dead. Thank God I didn't smoke when I said I would.

7 minutes ago, unogueen said:

Keep your strength up. I've long reconciled that people simply prefer a negative peace. It is a challenge to mind my own when finding out is constantly knocking on the door.  just waiting to a good time show myself out.

What in the actual fuck does this mean? 

11 minutes ago, unogueen said:

Just c.h.i.l.l. life isn't over yet.

My current out look on life is that technically it's always the end times. Just it's the actual end times if I guess the world as you know it ends or if humanity goes extinct I guess. 

God emergency vet care is painfully expensive. Someone add this to the list of things we need to add to single payer health systems.