California suggested that water be completely cut off from Las Vegas and Phoenix in recent Colorado River water negotiations

52 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Does bottling drinking water really impact reservoir levels?

We don't trust our water systems. I get a letter every year from Passaic Valley telling me that our water has detectable levels of lead in it. Every year without fail. I'd borderline say it will never get fixed but it basically has to. Assuming my area is still habitable in our dystopian future.

I legit use bottle water or filtered water for coffee and cooking.

6 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Maybe they shouldn’t have been letting Nestle just take all of their water at no cost. 

3 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

Hey a private corporation is allowed to use public water at low/no cost to make cash money. There is no way to use these resources for non-cash money reasons. 

I wont defend Nestle, because they're terrible, they lie about this very issue, and I'm not a fan of bottled water in general.

That said, they're not really the problem here. Even after using 25 times as much water as they're supposed to, their 58m gallons only works out to as much water as 12 acres of almonds. CA had 1.64 million acres of almonds growing. Heck, the smallest bracket of farms from the 2017 census of agriculture was 50-99 acres. So if one of the smallest almond farms in CA decided to grow just about anything else (a task I realize is not easy), they'd reduce their water demand by more than all of Nestle's usage.

Also, while I'd happily hand over Nestle's water rights to farmers, it's not like farmers are non-profit enterprises. The vast majority of the water in CA is being used by private companies to make money. They're just making money selling food.

• Thanks 1

I do want to say my post is a joke and I do agree with your point.

I'm emotionally confused about my post because I don't see this enough on message boards to know if this is not okay. 

I find written communication terrible because communication is more then just words.

• 1 month later...