SNK Mini coming soon $100

Rodimus

It looks like the price and release leaked by way of official press release in Japan. This little neo geo is going to cost $100 and release on July 24th. My Birthday. So there are some differences in Japanese release versus international in the games list. This thing looks fun. I can see having this on my desk and playing on my breaks. Anyone see this and think about picking one up? I know some have the real deal an someday I will to. but this seems convenient and fun.

https://www.snk-corp.co.jp/press/2018/062201/

https://www.destructoid.com/neo-geo-mini-reveals-price-and-japanese-release-date-509400.phtml

neogeomini05-1.jpg

The system went up for sale on Amazon.jp a few days ago but looks to be all sold out atm. 

https://www.amazon.co.jp/SNK-NEOGEO-mini/dp/B07DWGTHDJ/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1529894041&sr=1-1&keywords=snk

I actually do have a pre-order in. After shipping and pre-tax it's 14,470 Yen or about $132 USD.

I think $100 USD for the system (pre-tax) is a pretty good price for what it offers. I'll post my impressions when I get it.

-edit-

Here is a video of the unit from e3

On 6/28/2018 at 5:09 PM, Rodimus said:

Any word on the other color scheme. I don't like it I want the colored buttons. I hope that is not the version we get.

We're getting the boring looking one sadly.  Makes zero sense too given our MVS cabs had colorful buttons. 

yeah as noted the international version is the black/grey unit. I'm sure someone will figure out how to hack the damn thing if you want the jpn one.

On a side note I came to my senses and canceled my preorder because I've gotten too many other things recently and need to scale back again. Plus I still want to one day build a mini table top cabinet instead and that will be far more worth having.

• 2 months later...

Anyone pick this up? From what I have read some things are troubling. Like the HDMI out is bad. Also the button layout is different even on the game pads. WTF is that all about. I have thought about having this on my desk but I don't know very disappointing.

Here are contorller layout examples.

Original Neo Geo pad

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPxW6RaHJJcmbxHnd0koI

Neo Geo mini

i-img700x700-1536677711vo6gkb688562.jpg&

27 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Eh, they're not great and we have the real thing, plus an Omega. Really no need for this, especially since it's not great.

I would want iether a real MVS arcade cabinet or an Omega to play. This is just a janky Neo Geo to play on a desk. Not a huge surprise it is crappy since the Neo Geo X was garbage.

9 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

We sold our AES a year ago and no regrets. The Omega is fantastic and MVS carts are cheaper.

Yeah I remember you posted the auction, I more want the aes for the cart boxes (lol), I have no plans for any of titles more than $100. I might consider grabbing an mvs 2 aes converter but i’ll more likely build out my neo cd collection before doing that.

7 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Yeah I remember you posted the auction, I more want the aes for the cart boxes (lol), I have no plans for any of titles more than $100. I might consider grabbing an mvs 2 aes converter but i’ll more likely build out my neo cd collection before doing that.

We have some really nice custom Shock Boxes for the MVS games :)

I know my husband had several complaints about the converter, which is why he went with the Omega.