Military coup in Burkina Faso overthrows military government that came to power in a military coup in January

My favorite aspect about African coups is that they pretty much follow the chain of command downwards: a general overthrows the civilian government who then gets overthrown by a colonel who in turn is overthrown by a captain, etc.

Eventually, you end up with Ghana where a first sergeant came to power and stayed there for 30 years!

This is unlike Latin American coups where it's pretty much always senior level officers overthrowing each other. BORRRRRRRRING!

• Haha 2

I think its unfortunate that I don't know nearly enough about Africa wherein I had to look up this country initially when I heard the story. That being said, and again forgive my ignorance, but why hasn't the entirety of Africa joined together & become something like the United Nations of Africa?

8 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

I think its unfortunate that I don't know nearly enough about Africa wherein I had to look up this country initially when I heard the story. That being said, and again forgive my ignorance, but why hasn't the entirety of Africa joined together & become something like the United Nations of Africa?

Because they all hate each other.

The entirety of modern African infrastructure was built with one thing in mind and one thing only - resource extraction. Everything else is secondary. After the Europeans left, the sad thing is it's one of those things where the only ones with the power to fundamentally change the system are also the ones that benefit from it. All kinds of new dictators come to power saying "we need to establish a country for the people" or whatever and then six months later they're like "oooh, look at all this new, shiny money I have! ... on second thought, things are fine the way they are." Until he gets overthrown and/or assassinated, rinse and repeat.