This is a major contributor to SFs unhoused crisis

I'm not sure about San Francisco but in Los Angeles County something like 75% of the homeless people here became homeless here. Other states putting their homeless people on one-way buses here is a thing, but it's far from the main contributor. California also buses those homeless people back to where they came from to some extent.

Now with San Francisco specifically, it makes sense that the nearby rich areas have their cops dumping them at the city limits.

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm not sure about San Francisco but in Los Angeles County something like 75% of the homeless people here became homeless here. Other states putting their homeless people on one-way buses here is a thing, but it's far from the main contributor. California also buses those homeless people back to where they came from to some extent.

Now with San Francisco specifically, it makes sense that the nearby rich areas have their cops dumping them at the city limits.

For us the issue is we have such a plethora of resources for our unhoused population other areas send their population to us.

Its not the primary contributor considering the massive cost of living and economic inequality the bay has, but definitely anecdotally coming from the front lines of this, it’s definitely a trend we notice. During lockdown it was worse.

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

“Major” would seem to be a stretch :p But exporting homeless folks to other areas is a time-honored tradition at this point 

I fully admit I have a myopic view here owing to working in an ER in the city and the one EVERYONE chooses to come to; also meaning I’m more likely to experience the outliers. But we’ve definitely noticed the trend not just in my department either… but my friends in SFFD or other ERs in the area as well. It’s basically an open joke amongst first responders now.

I’ve never experienced this in any other ER I’ve worked in.

Two weeks ago on one of my psych shifts I had a patient tell me they just came from Reno after being sent here by “someone.”

yes SF has a huge relocated population, I’m not from here after all so I’m willing to bet that factors in too, but to touch on the lockdown comment. When it got out to the outlying areas that we were putting the unhoused into hotels on taxpayer dime and providing them substances, ( a partner at the time was a social worker for the city who confirmed we were doing this) we got flooded in my ER as they needed a medical clearance to access this service from unhoused all over the state. 

This seems to be a nimby freakout more than anything.

Homeless people don't have money and sometimes they will fake a heart attack to get a ride in an ambulance. Sometimes there is a nice officer who will give them a ride somewhere. I know when I was working there was a guy who wanted to go to the next city to catch a train and the officer was nice enough to take him there rather than make him walk. After stories like this someone will probably pass down a policy where they don't give homeless rides and that's worse for the homeless.