If You're a Parent, Do You Share Your Children on Socials?

SoberChef

So I came across this vid from Alanah Pearce and JFC, I'm borderline nauseated just thinking about it. For context, here's her vid:

Now, I feel like her video is really in vein of being educational, but it highlights a thing that I wasn't even ever aware of. Why in the actual fuck, as a parent, would you willingly, blatantly, & essentially whoring your own kid(s) out to the world publicly for just THE WORST vile scum to objectify and who knows WTF else all to grow your following for ad revenue?!?

I'm not a parent nor ever want to be, yet I believe that IF in fact I ever did have kids, that aside from family & certain friends MAYBE, I wouldn't be uploading content on any platform about them for prying eyes to view. I had initially checked out the vid just thinking she would lambast fame seekers yet the darker tone & turn of what it actually was made me cringe, and had my jaw agape with my hand covering my mouth I was beyond appalled!

So that being said, IF you do happen to be that kind of person, maybe you should rethink your position. In my own opinion, things like this are just as, if not more awful than those truly disgusting kid pageants that are held, its just really fucking gross.

We have one dedicated social media platform that’s completely private, with family and friends invited. We’ve also made it clear to friends/family we would prefer that pictures of our daughter are not public. 

If she changes her mind later on, she can, but for now, I’d rather protect her digital identity. 

I share photos to my insta of my kids. But: 

1) My privacy settings are set to the highest possible

2) It is a very cultivated friends group of less than 100 people, all people I know and selective even in that (like casual work friends who try to add me I just don't). 

3) It's just still photos and never anything that would be like a vulnerable moment for them or embarrass them in the future (I hope). 

I do not post on facebook ever, I just change my profile pic here and there, and it has my kids occassionally on there. But privacy settings are high and I feel fine about that. 

I do have several acquaintances who use their kids to get attention and I find it pretty sad. It's fucked up to do, but it's also clear they are addicted to social media and the dopamine release they must get with likes and comments and positive feedback. It's pretty crazy that that's kind of just normalized, and many of the people who do that think that that's just what you do. 

Generally I have scaled way back on my social media interaction in the last year and a half or so. I think I'd like to ideally just get rid of it altogether. It adds very little to my life and typically is just a big time sink for a few chuckles a day.