Suitable power bank for Steam Deck?

HardAct

Just wondering what if any power bank you recommend to charge your Steam Deck on the go? The one I have isn't cutting it but it's 5 years old now so what's working well for you all? I did find out that the power plug from my OG switch charges my Deck nicely. I need a good one under 80 bucks would be nice but I'm known to spend for a quality piece of tech here and there....

1 hour ago, Boyle5150 said:

My deck finally arrives tomorrow!!  Haven’t kept up on all the tips and tricks, but sounds like I’ll need a power bank.

Anything else you think I need or should mod?  

I’ve found it handy to put a docking station in between the deck charger and a second cable coming from the docking station to my deck. That way I still just have a nice long cord to plug in but also a place to plug in usb devices and such. I have an external usb c nvme for Windows boot and a usb 3.0 ethernet adapter in my dock, and use it for transferring files via usb and also while it doesn’t work off the dock, I keep a spare steam os micro sd card in the dock so I don’t lose it while swapping.

Also a 1tb micro sd card of course.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’ve found it handy to put a docking station in between the deck charger and a second cable coming from the docking station to my deck. That way I still just have a nice long cord to plug in but also a place to plug in usb devices and such. I have an external usb c nvme for Windows boot and a usb 3.0 ethernet adapter in my dock, and use it for transferring files via usb and also while it doesn’t work off the dock, I keep a spare steam os micro sd card in the dock so I don’t lose it while swapping.

Also a 1tb micro sd card of course.

Damn sounds like I have some work to do.

how does the swapping between the two OS’s work?  Will I be able to play gamepass games?   

4 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

Damn sounds like I have some work to do.

how does the swapping between the two OS’s work?  Will I be able to play gamepass games?   

There isn’t a way I consider good yet for it. There is no official dual boot option off the internal drive yet. It’s coming according to Valve but idk when. I’m using an external nvme for the time being, it works okay for gamepass for now. But even Windows itself isn’t great on deck yet, you have to do this kinda hacky setup to get the gamepad working. 

That said, to swap between the two os’s using a different boot device, you just hold down the volume down button on boot and then you get a screen to select your Windows boot device.

If you still have a decent desktop, I’ve realized it’s hard to justify the hassle right now for gamepass vs just using moonlight, unless you are traveling and want to play game pass of course. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Boyle5150 said:

My deck finally arrives tomorrow!!  Haven’t kept up on all the tips and tricks, but sounds like I’ll need a power bank.

Anything else you think I need or should mod?  

Really a great handheld you'll love it!

You'll need a micro SD card and I also have a usb hub with ethernet to download large files and or games. I have THIS Micro card and this Ethernet adapter. I have this Usb Hub with HDMI if I ever need it! Tp be honest I use the Ethernet adapter the most and was great filling both the internal 512 gigs and the 1Tb Micro sd card. This USB C to USB c at a 45degree angle extension cable is a must too I feel. I have the charger that came with the Deck and one of THESE tiny little USB type C female to Female adapter in between it and the extension coiled next to my couch where I game the most. Having the 45 degree angle plug on top plugged into the Deck is way better than sticking strait out. It's long enough to game and charge easily at the same time and I love it. I bought this POWER BANK for when i'm traveling etc and these all together are a great package. The Power bank was pretty spendy but it's 69.99 after a 10 dollar off coupon on amazon and it's really powerful but heavy. You might want something less bulky but it's got a lot of juice if you ever need it! I feel 1tb sd card, an ethernet adapter and a power bank are ass essential item to compliment a great handheld devise like the SDeck,,,,

• Thanks 1

Oh and whatever dock you get Boyle, make sure it has pass through charging (the one hard act posted has it) so that you can charge while using the dock. 

To use a dock the way I wanted to I got a usb c to usb c coupler, so that goes on the end of the docking station that plugs into your deck, then I extended a usb c to usb c cable from that, you could get one at an angle like HardAct showed for that. 

Edit; Also if you do go nvme enclosure for  windows dual boot, you can use a usb c to usb c male adapter to turn it into a stick that can stand in the usb c slot when not charging for portability.

• Like 1

Just now, stepee said:

Oh and whatever dock you get Boyle, make sure it has pass through charging (the one hard act posted has it) so that you can charge while using the dock. 

To use a dock the way I wanted to I got a usb c to usb c coupler, so that goes on the end of the docking station that plugs into your deck, then I extended a usb c to usb c cable from that, you could get one at an angle like HardAct showed for that. 

I'm just waiting for the official Valve dock but the USB hub I bought was a bit unneeded unless I was playing while charging and downloading games at the same time. They all play nice together but it was unneeded really. I use the the strait usb C to ethernet adapter the most, I bought the hub first so the adapter pretty much shelved it. But it does have some great features all the same.

6 minutes ago, HardAct said:

I'm just waiting for the official Valve dock but the USB hub I bought was a bit unneeded unless I was playing while charging and downloading games at the same time. They all play nice together but it was unneeded really. I use the the strait usb C to ethernet adapter the most, I bought the hub first so the adapter pretty much shelved it. But it does have some great features all the same.

It looks nice, my dock was cheaper and didn’t have an ethernet slot, so I had to buy an adapter, should have just gotten one with it already in. What I like is just having the dock in the middle always plugged in between the charger and my charging cable, that way whenever I’m plugged in I have access to all those ports and it doesn’t really cause any extra inconvenience.

What I really would love to see is support for running games in steam os off of micro sd cards that are plugged into the dock. The amount of storage I could have whenever plugged in would be like no limit then, could have my entire collection available.

Running games off micro sd through the dock actually DOES work in Windows, but Steam OS seems built right now to only offer one external drive as available at a time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

Alright, I ordered all that shit!  
Im super excited to play with my deck…

The Hype is real !!

I liked the thing right away, but now after having it in my hands a month it's just way better than I ever expected, it really is. I'm not emulating anything and I do not have windows on it but just my steam library has been just wonderful. Have been saving tons of money buying my games from CDKeys.com too. I have less than 200 gigs free total out of 1500 gigs between the internal and the sd card...lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HardAct said:

The Hype is real !!

I liked the thing right away, but now after having it in my hands a month it's just way better than I ever expected, it really is. I'm not emulating anything and I do not have windows on it but just my steam library has been just wonderful. Have been saving tons of money buying my games from CDKeys.com too. I have less than 200 gigs free total out of 1500 gigs between the internal and the sd card...lol

I’ve been waiting for something like this for forever!  I have so many games in my backlog that I want to finish but just hate being in my office to game. I’m all about gaming before bed or when I’m downstairs (office is upstairs away from kitchen and living room).  

I got the 512gb version so with the added Tb sd card, I think I’ll be able to manage. 

4 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

I’ve been waiting for something like this for forever!  I have so many games in my backlog that I want to finish but just hate being in my office to game. I’m all about gaming before bed or when I’m downstairs (office is upstairs away from kitchen and living room).  

I got the 512gb version so with the added Tb sd card, I think I’ll be able to manage. 

I'm Excited for you :D

Haven't been anywhere near my PS5 or Series X now in months. This thing only made that issue worse. I'll get to them sooner than later as winters coming. I also just bought A miyoo mini v2 handheld. I can't stop, but I've been wanting one of them since I first saw it! It'll be here thursday!!

WWW.AMAZON.COM

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HardAct said:

I'm Excited for you :D

Haven't been anywhere near my PS5 or Series X now in months. This thing only made that issue worse. I'll get to them sooner than later as winters coming. I also just bought A miyoo mini v2 handheld. I can't stop, but I've been wanting one of them since I first saw it! It'll be here thursday!!

WWW.AMAZON.COM

My tv gaming has gone down a lot since I got the deck, but like all things I’m sure it’ll even out eventually. But now I can not only play most games native, but everything else I can just stream my pc, ps5, and XSX and it works so well on the deck, so it’s just everything right there on one device including my extensive classics collection that I can play while watching tv and it’s just so damn comfortable. 

31 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

You are going to be in love. I guess you gotta mention that the os is still a little buggy, but overall everything works better than I expected. The amount of games this thing can play is insane. And they actually got resume working almost constantly on pc finally. There’s a whole bunch here that Valve nailed, it’s really impressive. That early handheld generational leap is fun too.

• Like 1

a SDeck pro is enviable or #2 and it's exciting to see just how far handheld gaming can be taken. Reading that they were surprised by how well the 512gig version sold and using that data to build a truly beefed up version in the near future knowing that people out there will pay for a powerful well made gaming handheld. I think it's got a lot to do by just how long Nintendo has reined with the switch. Never even putting out a pro and still it's selling crazy like. This is a different kind of machine and it just feels Techy and high-end without breaking the bank! 1Tb model with an Oled screen sounds sexy.