Nintendo acquires Dynamo Pictures, rebrands them as Nintendo Pictures...

A while back there were rumors that Nintendo was looking to make a huge acquisition to counter the big ones Sony and Microsoft were grabbing. My initial thought was Bandai Namco. They'd actually be pretty cheap all things being relative. It would bring more of their toy manufacturing back in house AND they'd get an animation studio. That, obviously, never happened, but I guess Nintendo does want an animation studio, because they just bought one.

acastro_190530_1777_nintendo_0002.0.jpg
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

The acquisition is expected to complete in October.

This studio mostly does outsourced CG work for anime like Evangelion and Dragon Ball Super along with some motion capture work and games like Death Stranding and Persona 5. No idea what Nintendo has planned here, but maybe they like working with Illumination so much they want to produce they're own animated TV series, in-house.

Just now, Reputator said:

What a weird move that Nintendo has made here!

So I guess it's like most of their moves then.

Especially weird since, as far as I can tell, this studio doesn't really have any directors and has never even produced a 15 minutes short. They're who you go to of you're short on time and need some extra robots modeled or some background characters to be mocapped and animated.

I assume this means Nintendo wants to build them from the ground up as a DreamWorks competitor, but I would have just as well assumed they could afford to buy a studio with a track record. I don't mean a proven track record, just a record.