How screwed is my sister in this situation?

DarkStar189

Tldr:

Sister charged with Misdemeanor 2 simple assault and Summary Offense Harassment in Pennsylvania.

Do you think jail time is a definite? 

My sister has been on a downward trajectory for about 3 years now. Can't hold a job for very long and claims she is addicted to weed and spends all her money on it (she mentioned "dabs" before which sounds like maybe it can be addictive?). Anyway, she's been living with a boyfriend for almost 2 years. I think they have been mostly broken up the last 6 months just trying to ride out the rest of their lease agreement.

Things got violent this morning (with her being the aggressor). Supposedly she got so mad she threw his xbox controller "at the wall", but ended up hitting the guy directly in the face with it.......He was bleeding badly, she took him to an urgent care center and he required stitches. Police came to the center and took her away in handcuffs. She was fingerprinted and released shortly after(no bail) since it was a first time offense.

Currently being charged with a misdemeanor 2 simple assault charge and a summary offense harassment charge, court date is March 1st.

My parents have basically been bled dry financially trying to help her over the years. This news was shocking to hear today, but not that big of a surprise I guess. Our family really has zero experience with legal trouble like this. She's pretty much on her own and accepted it. I was curious if anyone here has had any similar experiences or has known anyone with similar charges. 

I guess my question is, is jail time a definite for a first time offender in a case like this? In Pennsylvania Google says the maximum penalty is 1-2 years prison/$5,000 fines for the M2 charge. 

4 minutes ago, Rachel said:

She’ll probably get only probation unless she cops an attitude with the judge or something. First time assault for a woman they’ll probably go easy on her. Especially if she’s white. And it’s a misdemeanor not a felony. She’ll most likely stay out of jail but never say never. 

Pretty much this. Have her have a good lawyer and it shouldn't be too hard to keep her out of jail, probably probation, a fine, community service hours, rage/anger management counseling. A lot to offer that she can agree to to keep her out of jail. :) 

Thanks for the input so far. 

9 minutes ago, Rachel said:

true but OP said his family has no money after enabling his sister’s drug addiction 

Yeah she's on her own with this. I think the most they would ever do at this point is help store her possessions in their garage if she got sent away. My sister and the guy basically make enough to pay the bills because she just doesn't want to work.  In a perfect world, I wish she would get into at least a 30 day rehab. No substances, alcohol, and most of all take her phone away from her. She's very addicted to it. She needs a big reset on life, needs more guidance or something. 28 years old and just seems like she's lost any and all drive to do anything in life.