GTX 1080 (theoretically) bottlenecks my system, what to do?

Looking up benchmarks/bottlenecking specs for my current rig, and it seems that if I were to upgrade my GPU to a 1080, my system would bottleneck performance.

I don't want to plan on doing any heavy upgrading, and since this rig is rather old that it still uses DDR3, I'm wondering if I should just either go with a 1070 (according to specs it says that my system won't bottleneck the GPU), or just straight-up upgrade my whole rig.

I don't plan on doing anything above 1080p since I just want to play my games consistently without any of having issues with performance.  Unfortunately the 780 is showing its age and I can barely run Doom 2016 without having it go blow 30 FPS (same with Wolfenstein 2).  

Suggestions?

Just now, darkness35 said:

I have no idea how to OC no less am concerned of me fucking over my CPU in  general. Is that even possible to OC without it being unlocked?

Is your CPU a K? (ie: 4770k)

If it is, get a decent cooler if you don't have one already and just put it to 4.3-4.4ghz, there's literally not a single 4-core i7 since the 2xxx series that I'm aware of that can't reach 4.3-4.5ghz without issue.

At a resolution of 1080p the GTX 1070 and 1060 6GB are the best value graphics card, currently.  Either of them will be fine for that resolution for a few more years.

Your current processor is good enough.  You could get a GTX 1080 and be fine, but that card will only be able to stretch its legs in the really demanding games, so really I don't think it's worth pairing with your current system.  You wouldn't really notice the real world difference between a 1080 and 1070, since when these video cards are paired with a fast CPU at 1080p there's only a 20% performance gap.

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

At a resolution of 1080p the GTX 1070 and 1060 6GB are the best value graphics card, currently.  Either of them will be fine for that resolution for a few more years.

Your current processor is good enough.  You could get a GTX 1080 and be fine, but that card will only be able to stretch its legs in the really demanding games, so really I don't think it's worth pairing with your current system.  You wouldn't really notice the real world difference between a 1080 and 1070, since when these video cards are paired with a fast CPU at 1080p there's only a 20% performance gap.

That’s why you use AA or DSR :p 

With the prices coming down slowly with the news, what kind of prices should I be looking at?  So far I'm seeing 1070 around $300-350ish, while a 1080 (non-ti) at around 400-450ish?

I'm probably going to be surfing r/buildapcsales for a long time basically :p

also @Spork3245 you mentioned about overclocking, but that's only with unlocked processors right?  Is it still possible to OC it somehow?

10 minutes ago, darkness35 said:

With the prices coming down slowly with the news, what kind of prices should I be looking at?  So far I'm seeing 1070 around $300-350ish, while a 1080 (non-ti) at around 400-450ish?

also @Spork3245 you mentioned about overclocking, but that's only with unlocked processors right?  Is it still possible to OC it somehow?

Yea, I don’t think you can OC a non-K.

12 hours ago, darkness35 said:

1080Ti for $526

1070 for $296

49 minutes ago, darkness35 said:

Thanks guys, I'll keep an eye out on the prices for now.  Good to know that my other parts will still do well with a 1080.

I truly believe you’ll be left wanting with a 1070. A 1070 has the same performance as a 980 Ti, I have 2x 980 Ti in SLI and find myself unable to max a lot of games in 1080p for a solid 60fps with AA at 2-4x. 

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

I truly believe you’ll be left wanting with a 1070. A 1070 has the same performance as a 980 Ti, I have 2x 980 Ti in SLI and find myself unable to max a lot of games in 1080p for a solid 60fps with AA at 2-4x.  

wait... unable to max?  Wouldn't you want to max out those games?

11 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Yes, I do want to max the graphical settings, but cannot while maintaining 60fps. I’m confused by your question. :confused:

Sorry got dumb and didn't realize what you said in the first sentence lmfao.  I just realized you meant the 1070 isn't sufficient enough to max everything on 1080p.

:p

10 minutes ago, darkness35 said:

Sorry got dumb and didn't realize what you said in the first sentence lmfao.  I just realized you meant the 1070 isn't sufficient enough to max everything on 1080p.

:p

:hug:

Yea, when people say that the 1070 is a great 1080p card... I don’t think they actually have a 1070/980 Ti :p 

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Are you turning settings off/down?

Watch Dogs 2, AC:O, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, and several others.

I'll go back and check, but my memory is that with Watch Dogs 2 and AC:O I was solidly in the mid-50s to low 60s @1440p.  (Deus Ex had crappy frame rates.)  But I'm getting significantly higher than 60 fps on Forza, Wolfenstein, Doom, etc.

I'll be playing Watch Dogs 2 tonight, so I can double check.

10 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

I'll go back and check, but my memory is that with Watch Dogs 2 and AC:O I was solidly in the mid-50s to low 60s @1440p.  (Deus Ex had crappy frame rates.)  But I'm getting significantly higher than 60 fps on Forza, Wolfenstein, Doom, etc.

I'll be playing Watch Dogs 2 tonight, so I can double check.

Wolfenstein was another one that I had to turn AA down/off and reduce ambient occlusion and something else. The first several levels/areas were fine, it’s once I was outdoors that it started to get iffy. AC:O definitely needed AA off, but I’m going by the benchmark as I haven’t played it yet.

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

Wolfenstein was another one that I had to turn AA down/off and reduce ambient occlusion and something else.

I googled a benchmark -- must be the difference between a 1070 and a 980TI for that one...

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/wolfenstein_ii_the_new_colossus_pc_graphics_analysis_benchmark_review,5.html

51 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

I googled a benchmark -- must be the difference between a 1070 and a 980TI for that one...

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/wolfenstein_ii_the_new_colossus_pc_graphics_analysis_benchmark_review,5.html

In the initial areas while you're still in a wheelchair my FPS was similar to the 1070 Ti/1080 in maxed settings at 1440p, the massive drops began in later areas. Since the game doesn't have a benchmark tool we have no clue what area/scene they are using. :p 

With Watch Dogs 2, I think I may not have played that since swapping to SLI 980 Ti from base 980s in SLI so I may be remembering the 980 performance :lol: 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...