My 12 year old just had his birthday and wanted to build a computer with me as his gift

So we went down to Miceocenter. $1200 later, and he has his first computer build done.

It was very fun. Until he told me he just wants to play Minecraft. Like, guy, you’ve got Minecraft on 19 other devices 😂

Just now, best3444 said:

Is it a gaming PC? That's sounds like good quality time with your son. Great father for memories for your son. 

It is a bit for gaming, also will be in our school room for various bits of school work. 

It was good stuff. He picked all the components out himself and then we put it together and I kinda went step by step explaining what each piece was and how they work. Quite enjoyable!

B0-C0-CFAC-7386-426-F-8-C6-A-A89-C5758-FD69 08-ECC962-7-EAC-4-D13-BAD8-1457532215-DD

I know he went with an i7 11700, Samsung 980 m.2 500gb, 16gb of DDR4 ram. Had to get all the bits and bobs like mouse, keyboard, monitor, case. Will probably give him my RTX2080 when I eventually get a 4000 series RTX card.

6 minutes ago, Chris- said:

You guys are looking for specs, but the real flex here is that he dropped $1,200 on a 12 year old’s birthday gift. 

It is my wife’s fault! She had legit no idea how much computers cost when she told him yes 😂

4 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Adorable little guy, that look screams genuine gratitude. Can't wait to see how viscously he rebels against you in about 4-5 years.

He is the boy version of my wife, just incredibly sweet and gratitude comes naturally. He will be fine.

My daughter on the other hand, a girl clone of my jerky self. THAT is the one who is going to be brutal in a few years.

6 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I remember when I build my first computer after getting my first job.  My dad walked in midway through and told me I wasted my money then walked out. Parents are great. 

Jeeez! I still remember fondly the building of my first computer. My brother and I save up money from odd jobs and then bought pieces on eBay over the course of a month. It was an AMD Athlon Slot A style processor. I still vividly remember spending hours trying to figure out why it wouldn’t turn on after we put it together. Finally we figured out that there were the little riser/standoffs that got between the case chassis and the motherboard, so the system was shorting. At least we didn’t ruin it! I think I was 11, so my brother would have been 13.

27 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Jeeez! I still remember fondly the building of my first computer. My brother and I save up money from odd jobs and then bought pieces on eBay over the course of a month. It was an AMD Athlon Slot A style processor. I still vividly remember spending hours trying to figure out why it wouldn’t turn on after we put it together. Finally we figured out that there were the little riser/standoffs that got between the case chassis and the motherboard, so the system was shorting. At least we didn’t ruin it! I think I was 11, so my brother would have been 13.

My dad had a strict up bringing so he thought games, tv, movies, etc was a waste of time. On the other hand, my mom was extremely supportive to the point of basically never saying no. The two of them balanced each other quite well.

With my daughter, I am definitely the “fuck it, do what you want as long as you don’t hurt yourself or others” parent. I leave the real parenting to my wife.