Jagged Alliance 3 (squad-level turn-based tactical RPG) - reviews from OpenCritic posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

• 10 months later...

They took our home, our dream, our president! It's time to take it all back!

In Jagged Alliance 3, you hire a team of unique mercenaries to rescue the president of Grand Chien, who was kidnapped by a paramilitary force known as "The Legion".

Engage in intense battles and spend your action points wisely in strategic, turn-based combat. Use the environment and the strength of your mercenaries to gain an advantage over your enemies. Loot and customize an arsenal of weaponry and get the most out of your special perks to win the battle against "The Legion". 

• 2 weeks later...

It's hard to overstate just how important Firaxis's XCOM reboot was for PC gaming. In the years since its release, the turn-based strategy and tactics genres have experienced a renaissance, and most of the games that followed owe a debt to Firaxis's mix of classic tactical depth and more modern, streamlined conveniences.

But what if you're trying to make the successor to a different turn-based classic? Then, it seems, XCOM's legacy can be a hindrance instead.

"We found that, no matter what we did, everyone played just like they played all the other games like XCOM," says Brad Logston, senior producer for Jagged Alliance 3. "We weren't playing it like Jagged Alliance. We didn't even know how to fix it. We were doing things like tweaking AI, tweaking weapon damage ranges, all these different things. Nothing was really working."

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Jagged Alliance 3 announced for PC, update: "Jagged Alliance 3 wants to escape the spectre of XCOM by never telling you the odds" (PC Gamer)
  • 10 months later...

Game Information

Game Title: Jagged Alliance 3

Platforms:

• PC (Jul 14, 2023)

Developer: Haemimont Games

Publisher:  THQ Nordic

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 82 average - 92% recommended

Critic Reviews

IGN - Leana Hafer - 9 / 10

Jagged Alliance 3 is a flexible, challenging, approachable throwback turn-based tactics game in which the only thing that feels truly dated is the humor.

Shacknews - TJ Denzer - 9 / 10

I had my doubts about if Jagged Alliance 3 could really tap the joy I felt in commanding mercenaries back in Jagged Alliance 2. This is a series that predates most tactical strategy we know, but it’s had some bumps along the road. Jagged Alliance 3 can’t be counted among those bumps. It’s a proficient and beautiful return to form for this franchise with a wealth of options inside and outside combat. It’s also a tough game to overcome, but with all of the options at your disposal, finding your path through the breathtaking landscapes of Grand Chien should be an exciting and varied blast every time. I’ll have a hard time putting anything else in the strategy category above this when the year ends.

Try Hard Guides - Erik Hodges - 9 / 10

Jagged Alliance 3 takes a familiar yet improved-upon turn-based experience, a unique resource management system, 4x-Lite strategy and a satirical setting bursting with character and tosses them all together. While the turn-based combat isn’t going to be everyone’s favorite aspect of the game, it is easy to say that Jagged Alliance 3 hits way more than it misses and offers plenty more for players to enjoy.

The Games Machine - Emanuele Feronato - Italian - 8.9 / 10

Jagged Alliance 3 represents the comeback in a big way of turn-based combat strategy games, and it is so compelling that it may revive a genre lately dedicated only to a few hardcore fans. The reckless choice of not showing the probability of hitting turns out to be successful, as it makes each firefight unpredictable, forcing us to risk it all on several occasions. The only flaw in this excellent production is the artificial intelligence of the enemies, who sometimes spare us with no reason or seem prone to suicide. Anyway, it still remains a must have.

Wccftech - Chris Wray - 8.5 / 10

Jagged Alliance 3 marks a long-awaited triumphant return for the franchise, with the last undeniably great release being Jagged Alliance 2 over twenty years ago. Creating an exceptional balance on both a strategic and tactical level, bringing back character attributes and progression, an entire inventory system, perks and more, forcing you to balance your broader economy and ensuring you can't just sit back - Haemimont Games have successfully created a game that will challenge, that I have found compelling and fun, and one that has kept me hooked into a "just one more day" loop and a few very late nights at that.

PC Gamer - Dominic Tarason - 81 / 100

There's a few bolts that could be tightened up here and there, but Jagged Alliance is back in business.

3DNews - Мила Пономарева - Russian - 8 / 10

The relicts of classic tactical games may be excessively uncomfortable for modern genre admirers. But all others will definitely have some brutal fun.

CGMagazine - Justin Wood - 8 / 10

For the hardcore turn-based tactics fans, Jagged Alliance 3 takes the series in a great direction. Unfortunately, there is really no onboarding before the difficulty takes a steep leap.

GamingBolt - Shunal Doke - 8 / 10

Jagged Alliance 3 successfully taps into everything that made the franchise great to begin with, giving us a unique blend of genres that mixes turn-based tactical gameplay with some light RPG elements.

God is a Geek - Mick Fraser - 8 / 10

There's a lot to like in Jagged Alliance 3. The merc management system is solid, the gear works well, and combat can be very satisfying.

RPG Site - Adam Vitale - 8 / 10

Jagged Alliance 3 is an excellent game, merging squad-based tactics and classic computer-style roleplaying in an entertaining veneer of cheesy action movies.

GameGrin - Conor McGuigan - 6.5 / 10

Jagged Alliance 3 is a bold attempt at blending the best of multiple genres. Despite success in several areas, its overbearing systems often sideline the enjoyment of an otherwise well-made game.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Sin Vega - Unscored

UI niggles and a wincingly unfunny tone can't sink a strong hybrid of old and new design ideas.

• Halal 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Jagged Alliance 3 (squad-level turn-based tactical RPG) - reviews from OpenCritic posted

I beat Zelda last weekend so i had an opening for a game. Never played the original JA games, but played Back In Action and found it decent enough despite middling reception from fans of the series. Picked this up on a whim and have been having decent fun with it.

• Halal 2

30 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

I beat Zelda last weekend so i had an opening for a game. Never played the original JA games, but played Back In Action and found it decent enough despite middling reception from fans of the series. Picked this up on a whim and have been having decent fun with it.

GMG is actually out of stock of Steam keys for the game!

4 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

JA2 is on my top 10 favorite games of all time. Stoked that they finally released a competent follow up. Hopefully the modding community will be active with this one.

Apparently the devs themselves put up a mod on the Steam Workshop to show hit chance. 

7 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

JA2 is on my top 10 favorite games of all time. Stoked that they finally released a competent follow up. Hopefully the modding community will be active with this one.

1 minute ago, ThreePi said:

Apparently the devs themselves put up a mod on the Steam Workshop to show hit chance. 

?imw=512&&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imc
STEAMCOMMUNITY.COM