Mechajammer - Cyberpunk CRPG with 3D Pixel Graphics, update: December 2 release announced

Keyser_Soze

Demo is available

H9EGHPXrXMTjkdLnFxQ3mG-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

A world-exclusive trailer for the indie cyberpunk RPG debuted today at the PC Gaming Show.

Interestingly, while Mechajammer has a lot in common with "tabletop-rooted CRPGs" like Fallout, Williams said that its basic foundation is more of an immersive sim, "like an isometric Deus Ex." That approach to the game's design led Whalenough to try making combat more simulation-like as well, with actions playing out simultaneously over multiple turns.

• 2 months later...
mechajammer-key-art.jpg
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

We've been hands on with Whalenought Studios' isometric cyberpunk RPG Mechajammer, and there's a lot of potential here for immersive sim fans.

Perhaps I need to spend more time with Mechajammer in order to properly suss out its secrets. The demo doesn't really tell you how to do much of anything during its 30-odd minute run-time, and I suspect a more thorough tutorial may well fix a lot of my current woes, particularly when it comes to managing and directing the rest of your party. There's definitely a lot to like here, and if its stealth can match the immersive highs of my favourite Deus Ex games, then Whalenought could really have something special. Mechajammer's noise meters, hacking, burglary and perception stats all point towards an engaging isometric, turn-based tactics take on the Deus Ex formula, but I've yet to see it manifest in the moment-to-moment gameplay. It's one to watch, for sure - stealthily, from the bushes, perhaps, while eating a pot of jam - and I'll be awaiting its full release (simply 'coming soon' on Steam at time of writing) with cautious anticipation

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Mechajammer - Cyberpunk CRPG with 3D Pixel Graphics | Release Date TBA, update: new hands-on preview from RPS
  • 2 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Mechajammer - Cyberpunk CRPG with 3D Pixel Graphics, update: December 2 release announced
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh dear.

Mechajammer-review.jpg
CULTUREDVULTURES.COM

Release DateDecember 2, 2021Developer Whalenought StudiosPublisherModern WolfPlatformPCMicrotransactionsNoneOur Score4.5 Mechajammer starts off like most typical CRPGs with a rundown of the world at large, and then you’re greeted with a character creation screen. And that’s where the typical experience ends. This is not the CRPG you grew up with. This is Mechajammer, and it’s certainly something. The story takes place in the far...

Even if Mechajammer presents an ambitious idea where you’re left to your own devices with only an objective of surviving and making it to a certain place within so many days of the start of your adventure, very rarely is this ambition actually realized. I can’t help but applaud the ideas Whalenought brought to the table with being able to recruit more than the typical RPG party of 4 or 5 people and control the fight like the child of XCOM and Starcraft, but all the good is very quickly snuffed out by a refusal to just follow a few simple design choices with usability in mind that could easily put the game back on its feet.

This stubbornness weighs down Mechajammer too much to actually appreciate what it tries to do differently, and instead just makes it feel like something that was half-baked. Whalenought has been very responsive on forums, collecting feedback from similar frustrations to my own, but until a more complete version of Mechajammer exists, I think it’s best to stay away from the mean streets of Calitana.

mechajammer-review-header.jpg
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

Between its threadbare design and shocking number of bugs and major glitches, grungy RPG Mechajammer is an unfortunately miserable experience.

The bridges bring me on to navigation, which is a total pain in the arse. The main view is isometric and the map doesn't mark most landmarks or your position, making the brown streets confusing to get around as it's also upside down. Retro is one thing, but a map so archaic it predates the concept of North is new to me. Movement is worse, as its interpretation of line of sight bars even attempting to move somewhere you can't see, such as, for example, through a door. You have to push the door open, then awkwardly shuffle through it, then inside the brown room, then either fight some rats or realise it's empty, then do it all again to get out. That's if it doesn't get stuck and force you to hokey cokey in and out of the doorway a few times. Walking around corners indoors is like programming a roomba in real-time while your housemate formats it every few seconds, and the one good thing I can say about the doors is that they're not brown. It’s just endless shuffling and clicking and trudging back and forth on an ugly, empty map with annoying, often unresponsive controls and no reason to care about anything.

I could go on with describing Mechajammer's flaws and failures for far, far longer than I could stand playing it any more. The sheer relief at exorcising my complaints are the closest I've come to enjoying it since my brief excitement at the promise of its character creation screen. Between its awful, threadbare design and a shocking number of bugs and major glitches, this has been an absolutely miserable experience and not even close to fit for release.