Official Madden 19 Thread - Because I'm a go-getter that likes to start things

BuckFly

...as long as I have permission from the Mods to start "Official" threads.  :s

Very tied up right now and I hope to post comments as I go, subject to the fact that I may have to kill myself with a very big gun pointed at my very big forehead before I even get halfway through Long Shots 2.

19 hours ago, Biggie said:

Unlocks tonight and can’t wait to start MUT.  Pre-loaded and ready to go!

Biggie, I've looked at MUT, I have scratched the surface of MUT in 18, and I kind of understand MUT.

However, I don't know how to do MUT.

Do I just open every pack that I have and leave it off to the side until I need them, or do I open every pack and implement the ones that help my team into my team right away?

Hell, additionally, even Franchise Mode so far seems different from 18.

There was a big update yesterday, but where's my Corey Coleman?  I still have Bray starting at WR and he isn't even a Buffalo Bill anymore.

Plus I couldn't make changes in Franchise Mode.

Additionally, I am hitting they icon for plays and it is not calling that play.

AND I COULDN'T MOVE A SLOT RECEIVER TO A WIDE OUT POSITION, SO I HAVE A S***TY WIDEOUT STARTING AND A BETTER ONE ON THE BENCH.

AND MY SOUP IS COLD AND I'VE LOST MY SHAWL!!!

5 hours ago, Biggie said:

@BuckFly This Madden has unbelievable presentation. Omg it’s lile watching a game man. Started MUT at midnight and after an hour and a half already got my team to 70. Rodgers is my QB so that was a nice boost. 

I wanted to put more time in last night, but the Bills game was on.  I'm taking my father-in-law to the Bisons game tonight, but hope some time this weekend to put some time in specifically with MUT.

First, things do seem slower in 19 with RPM, but it just seems more...right, if that makes sense.

additionally, avoiding using turbo too soon like some onlin have suggested is great advice.

more to come.

I've been playing since Tuesday thanks to Origin Access Premier. The last Madden I played was 08, so I have been trying to get acclimated again but overall, it seems that Madden is improving on the base game gradually. Franchise mode has definitely changed a lot. The addition of practice squad and having to do preseason cuts is pretty cool. I also like having the option to switch between a player, coach, or owner role. Haven't tried out the story mode or MUT yet, but hopefully, I can this weekend.

2 hours ago, Slug said:

I'm not getting burned again.  No more Madden for me.  I suck too much at it.  Can't defend the pass for shit.

32 minutes ago, ARZ said:

This one is heads and shoulders above M18. Enjoying it so far.

It’s incredible. 

Play MUT @Slug   It’s like fantasy football. 

8 hours ago, Biggie said:

Running feels so much better @BuckFly   It’s fluid this year. Like when you try a toss sweep and make the corner just perfectly and hit burst it feels right. 

I couldn't agree more.

6 hours ago, Slug said:

I'm not getting burned again.  No more Madden for me.  I suck too much at it.  Can't defend the pass for shit.

Slug, I am right there with you, and my team stinks.  However, I do love football quite a bit and for the first time in awhile with a game I am a little determined to try and get better.

6 hours ago, Pikachu said:

I've been playing since Tuesday thanks to Origin Access Premier. The last Madden I played was 08, so I have been trying to get acclimated again but overall, it seems that Madden is improving on the base game gradually. Franchise mode has definitely changed a lot. The addition of practice squad and having to do preseason cuts is pretty cool. I also like having the option to switch between a player, coach, or owner role. Haven't tried out the story mode or MUT yet, but hopefully, I can this weekend.

All great points, Pika.

Welcome back!

34 minutes ago, BuckFly said:

Slug, I am right there with you, and my team stinks.  However, I do love football quite a bit and for the first time in awhile with a game I am a little determined to try and get better.

I just can't defend the pass to save my life.  Every single game I play ends up with the person I'm playing with realizing this and just calling Hail Mary all 4 downs for the entire game and there being exactly fuck all I can do about it.  Love football, but just can't play Madden worth a damn.

On 8/10/2018 at 4:08 PM, Slug said:

I just can't defend the pass to save my life.  Every single game I play ends up with the person I'm playing with realizing this and just calling Hail Mary all 4 downs for the entire game and there being exactly fuck all I can do about it.  Love football, but just can't play Madden worth a damn.

Slug, I think there are defenses, though, that you can call that might help alleviate some of the short comings on your game.  I don't play a ton online, so take it for what it is worth as I am by no means an expert.  However, possibly doing  "over" with your pre snap coverage, or pop your DBs back a bit before the play might help.

...or really do just play against the computer.  Competitively it as well has gotten a little better this year.  

7 minutes ago, BuckFly said:

Slug, I think there are defenses, though, that you can call that might help alleviate some of the short comings on your game.  I don't play a ton online, so take it for what it is worth as I am by no means an expert.  However, possibly to doing the "over" on your on the coverage pre snap, or pop your DBs back a bit before the play might help.

...or really do just play against the computer.  Competitively it as well has gotten a little better this year.  

Calling the right defense isn't a problem; it's actually defending the pass when I take control of a DB.  I always fall behind the WR, or fail to follow them on their route, or jump for a swat/pick too early.  I've put hours into it and for some reason I have consistently failed to get the hang of pass defense.

Just now, Slug said:

Calling the right defense isn't a problem; it's actually defending the pass when I take control of a DB.  I always fall behind the WR, or fail to follow them on their route, or jump for a swat/pick too early.  I've put hours into it and for some reason I have consistently failed to get the hang of pass defense.

BTW, seriously I am not making this up as I saw it in a commentary yesterday, the swat is much better this year.

Slug, I know you have tried a million things so forgive me, but have you tried waiting longer before switching to the db?  maybe just before?

2 hours ago, BuckFly said:

Slug, I know you have tried a million things so forgive me, but have you tried waiting longer before switching to the db?  maybe just before?

Yeah, I can't seem to get the timing down.  As soon as I switch to the DB he takes steps in the direction of the player I was controlling before him. So like if I was rushing the QB and he gets the ball off and I switch to the DB I'm still holding the down direction from when I was rushing and he immediately breaks off form the WR and runs back towards the line of scrimmage.  Sometimes it works if I just wait until a split second before the ball gets there then really fast switch-n-swat kind of thing, but when it's 4 downs of hail mary every series one of them is gonna land.

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

@Slug I stay away from online because yeah I get owned too. 

I get my ass kicked in local multiplayer.  In my own house.  By my kids. :P

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Biggie said:

@BuckFly Have you been able to get any playing time in on Madden?

MUT is fantastic.  So many things to do. And the legends are hot as fuck.  I have to get Vick.  Lol. 

Biggie, I apologize as life has been a little crazy and although I had about 6 hours in before launch I have put in only an hour since Saturday!

I will say that I put in "work" in practice on Saturday to get my feet under me a bit.  Working with a very, very limited Bills team simply on Pro against the Dolphins I was able to get a 29-14 halftime lead before my daughter decided that daddy wasn't going to play football anymore that day.  :D

I don't state that score as a pat on my back to my Madden prowess, but it just shows my progress.  The same scenario with the Dolphins early in the week (actually before the 7th) had me throwing 3 picks in the first half and being down 21-3.  

I've gotten more used to the limited Bills playbook (won't switch until I see what is going on with what I have with McDermott), moved my receivers around (Benjamin, Kerley and now Coleman when I am in 3 receiver sets) and my defensive play calling has improved, although my coverage is still poor.

Priority 1 when I get back in this week: more practice in game situations.  Priority 2:  MUT.

Although I have been playing for years I still feel a bit overwhelmed, but I am just trying to take things one step at a time.  I am really uncomfortable making decisions in MUT as I don't want to make the wrong decision, but I'll continue to plow into it.  I have about an hour in.

• Like 1

Really enjoying franchise mode. My only complaint is that it is a bit hard to tell which team has drafted what player. The player card does not mention the year a player is drafted, the pick #, or the team. These were things present in Madden 08 but entirely missing in 19. It's a small nitpick, but I like those little details.

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

Received Rod Woodson last night while opening a pack @BuckFly   My first star on defense!

Biggie...Woodson...Frick, that is awesome brother!  Caught up with a group of local friends that I used to play Halo 5 with last night.  Afterwards I worked on some offense in Madden.  TONIGHT, I am diving more into my MUT.  

Should I just open everything that I get and wait to put them on my team, Biggs, or doesn't it make a difference, like I can move them back and forth off the roster?

I know it is silly, but man it is something I just don't know.

36 minutes ago, Pikachu said:

Really enjoying franchise mode. My only complaint is that it is a bit hard to tell which team has drafted what player. The player card does not mention the year a player is drafted, the pick #, or the team. These were things present in Madden 08 but entirely missing in 19. It's a small nitpick, but I like those little details.

Pika, not to put you on the spot and certainly not to waste your time my friend, but could you expand on your experience a little bit?

I felt like it was easier to get into Franchise in previous years.  Pika, other than my MUT work I want to take my Bills and just play a season...this season to be exact.  Not worried aobut the future or other draft picks.

You can adjust the settings in the Franchise mode however you like. If you don't want to deal with ownership or coaching aspects, you can set them to auto, and the CPU will handle everything that isn't related to you playing each game of the season. If you're like me though, you can basically turn Franchise Mode into Football Manager where you do everything but play the game. I like to build up the best possible team through drafting and signing free agents and then simulating the whole season to see if I built a winner. So far, my best season has been 8-8 thanks to a dearth of talent on the Dolphins. However, I drafted a QB that has become 90 overall and have also built a rock solid defense. The SB is definitely in sight.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Pikachu said:

You can adjust the settings in the Franchise mode however you like. If you don't want to deal with ownership or coaching aspects, you can set them to auto, and the CPU will handle everything that isn't related to you playing each game of the season. If you're like me though, you can basically turn Franchise Mode into Football Manager where you do everything but play the game. I like to build up the best possible team through drafting and signing free agents and then simulating the whole season to see if I built a winner. So far, my best season has been 8-8 thanks to a dearth of talent on the Dolphins. However, I drafted a QB that has become 90 overall and have also built a rock solid defense. The SB is definitely in sight.

Pika, awesome, thank you, but please don't go away yet!

It's cool what you do, and that you like playing that way.  If I set coaching and ownership to auto do I still get to just plain play the season and adjust my player level and sliders?

Does it force me to just play as 1 player?

Thank you again.

You have the option of playing one player if you like, but you can play with the whole team if you choose the coach role.You play out games the old plain way, and do not have to worry about anything. The CPU will sign a player if you lose a guy to injury for the whole season. You can skip through preseason too. Sliders and player level can be adjusted any time throughout the whole season.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BuckFly said:

Biggie...Woodson...Frick, that is awesome brother!  Caught up with a group of local friends that I used to play Halo 5 with last night.  Afterwards I worked on some offense in Madden.  TONIGHT, I am diving more into my MUT.  

Should I just open everything that I get and wait to put them on my team, Biggs, or doesn't it make a difference, like I can move them back and forth off the roster?

I know it is silly, but man it is something I just don't know.

Pika, not to put you on the spot and certainly not to waste your time my friend, but could you expand on your experience a little bit?

I felt like it was easier to get into Franchise in previous years.  Pika, other than my MUT work I want to take my Bills and just play a season...this season to be exact.  Not worried aobut the future or other draft picks.

I use the pick best team possible option for my MUT. Then either sell other cards for coins, training points, and send them to complete sets. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I use the pick best team possible option for my MUT. Then either sell other cards for coins, training points, and send them to complete sets. 

Thank you, Sir!  However, I can keep them in stand bye if I want, can't I?

Just now, BuckFly said:

Thank you, Sir!  However, I can keep them in stand bye if I want, can't I?

Yeah you can. Like if my Free Safety is a 79 and I pull a player card that’s 77 I’ll keep him too. But if he’s a 65 then I either sell him or send him to complete a sets.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, Biggie said:

Yeah you can. Like if my Free Safety is a 79 and I pull a player card that’s 77 I’ll keep him too. But if he’s a 65 then I either sell him or send him to complete a sets.  

Biggie...buddy.  Honestly, thank you.

An update to ensue.