Venture Bros. (The Movie) - Radiant Is the Blood of the Baboon Heart - 7/21/23

24 minutes ago, ort said:

Sounds like this isn't really confirmed. There is a screen shot from some site that scrapes data from IMDB that says it is leaving on the 12th... but no where else does it say this and Jackson Public himself seems confused. Also, the screenshot says it's leaving HBO Max, which is no longer what the service is even called.

I guess we'll find out, because there is no way I'm going to be able to watch all the seasons before the 12th. I mean, I could, but I don't typically watch TV like that... it would be like 3-4 episodes a night. I like to take things a little slower than that.

If it goes away I don't know what I will do. I guess I will re-hookup my TiVo that has all of season 7 on it and just watch that before the movie... That's the only season I have not watched at all... but I also barely remember what happened in season 6... bleh...

It's on Hulu fwiw

Apparently it is no longer on Hulu… but it really seems that it is not leaving HBO max, the only notice that it is is from this 3rd party site… no other evidence or confirmation anywhere else…

Would be nice to know for sure…

I have the first 4 or 5 seasons on DVD… uh… somewhere…

54 minutes ago, ort said:

Apparently it is no longer on Hulu… but it really seems that it is not leaving HBO max, the only notice that it is is from this 3rd party site… no other evidence or confirmation anywhere else…

Would be nice to know for sure…

I have the first 4 or 5 seasons on DVD… uh… somewhere…

It’d be super weird for them to remove it tbh. The movie will be premiering on there in about 90 days.

This was really fun. It’s still more up its own ass than the first few seasons but it’s less so than the last three or so, almost always for the better. It edges on being overly self referential but never really crosses the line. It closes some doors, leaves a few open if they ever decide to come back. 

I guess if I had a criticism it’s that nobody really moves forward or back in this. It’s a very literal, “what happened to these people immediately following the end of season 7,” and doesn’t really ever feel like a series finale. There are a bunch of “reveals” but they’re all obvious to anyone who’s been paying attention and they don’t have time to land or seem to move the needle much. 

But hey it’s more than I thought we’d get and it’s been 20+ years to get here, so no real complaints. If this is all we get it’s a fine place to stop. 

57 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Lmao hindsight is beautiful.

Which ones weren’t explicitly teased by Ben before? Or like…

Spoiler

Them spending an entire season where multiple characters thought that Rusty and The Monarch were both The Blue Morpho?

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Which ones weren’t explicitly teased by Ben before? Or like…

Hide contents

Them spending an entire season where multiple characters thought that Rusty and The Monarch were both The Blue Morpho?

Spoiler

There were zero theories that the Monarch and Rusty were the same person with Malcom essentially being an “evil” clone. It was implied that they were brothers, whether through Jonas banging The Blue Morpho’s wife (“I’m quite potent ;) “) or just artificially inseminating her and/or growing Malcom in a test tube but including his own DNA with hers rather than Morpho’s. If you came to the conclusion that they were clones of one another you’re literally the only one on all of the internet so I highly doubt you did :p 

On 7/22/2023 at 7:11 AM, Spork3245 said:

Reveal hidden contents

There were zero theories that the Monarch and Rusty were the same person with Malcom essentially being an “evil” clone. It was implied that they were brothers, whether through Jonas banging The Blue Morpho’s wife (“I’m quite potent ;) “) or just artificially inseminating her and/or growing Malcom in a test tube but including his own DNA with hers rather than Morpho’s. If you came to the conclusion that they were clones of one another you’re literally the only one on all of the internet so I highly doubt you did :p 

Spoiler

I don’t partake of online Venture Bros. Fandom outside of this forum, so I’m completely disconnected from the theories. I dunno. After Ben suggested Rusty was a clone and the most of season 7 going over how similar Rusty and The Monarch are, including Dr. Mrs. The Monarch not being able to tell them apart while looking at them at least a couple times, it seemed like a good possibility?

I’m not apoc, I wouldn’t have faked this for clout. :p

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

While I still had some nagging doubts it was true... all of the actual evidence was pointing to it just being some sort of data error by some goofy 3rd party site no one has ever heard of.

Thank you for posting though... I wouldn't have finished in time for sure.

The next question is... I ordered the Blu-ray on Amazon, but have not received it yet... what the heck?

Just now, ort said:

The next question is... I ordered the Blu-ray on Amazon, but have not received it yet... what the heck?

I think the BD release is today, Friday was digital-only. Some people were getting their BDs early, though.

55 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I’m not apoc, I wouldn’t have faked this for clout.

F. This confirms you're an apoc alt :sadsun:

Hmmm, I thought it was supposed to ship a while ago... mine hasn't even shipped and my current arrival window is August 9th - September 8th.

It's actually just fine, because that's most likely about how long I will take to go back through the show... but still, I want my stuffs!

I think this is the first piece of physical media I've bought in at least 5 years.

EDIT: No, wait, I bought a collectors edition St. Louis Blues Stanley Cup Blu-ray in 2019, and then when it went missing (I think my brother has it but he says he doesn't, whatever...) I rebought it last year...

5 minutes ago, ort said:

Hmmm, I thought it was supposed to ship a while ago... mine hasn't even shipped and my current arrival window is August 9th - September 8th.

It's actually just fine, because that's most likely about how long I will take to go back through the show... but still, I want my stuffs!

I think this is the first piece of physical media I've bought in at least 5 years.

EDIT: No, wait, I bought a collectors edition St. Louis Blues Stanley Cup Blu-ray in 2019, and then when it went missing (I think my brother has it but he says he doesn't, whatever...) I rebought it last year...

Oh, looks like it sold out/they didn't receive enough in their first shipment to fulfill all orders. Same thing happened with Target orders, I'm surprised it happened at Amazon too, though... BUT... I want it to sell past expectations so I'm rooting for a second delay for your order :p 

I say this having not seen season 7 or the movie... but I feel like VB has run its course... all things have to end, why not go out on topish? (I kinda think the show peaked a while ago)

I wonder what they would do next... I wonder if they will continue working as a pair or go off and do other things?

I started watching when Season One was in it's first run... I remember my first reaction to the show was that it was a lame Tick ripoff... then I found out it was created by Ben Edlund and The Tick Animated Series writers (Publick) and I gave it another chance and it eventually clicked and I was all in.

I am also a huge Tick fan... mostly the original run of Edlund comics and the animated show. I was collecting the original run of comics in the 80s/90s when they came out too... I am old.

3 minutes ago, ort said:

I say this having not seen season 7 or the movie... but I feel like VB has run its course... all things have to end, why not go out on topish? (I kinda think the show peaked a while ago)

S7 was the best season, though. :p 

As I noted, the movie didn't answer everything (they only had so much time so they just did the main questions and likely adapted their S8 script into a movie).

Having just rewatched the entire series not too long ago (like 3 weeks-ish), it definitely felt like it had 2-ish more seasons in it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my blu-ray is shipping now... and since they aren't removing it from HBO anymore I am going back to my more relaxed viewing schedule, so I will probably be watching it in a month or two... so expect my thoughts... uh... later.

1 hour ago, ort said:

Well, my blu-ray is shipping now... and since they aren't removing it from HBO anymore I am going back to my more relaxed viewing schedule, so I will probably be watching it in a month or two... so expect my thoughts... uh... later.

You’re lucky, some people are saying that theirs is now listing a September ship date

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, it took forever, but I finally finished this up. I thought the movie wrapped things up about as well as you can expect something like this to get wrapped up. I feel like a lot of characters fell to the wayside at the end, but I’m not sure if they could really have had a satisfying ending for everyone. It would have been like the ending of Return of the King times 10…

Anyway, I’m not sure I really have that much to say… great show, watched it for 20 years, glad to see it go out while still being high quality. The last few seasons were great. I remember not really feeling em when I first watched,  it the second time it all flowed better. I feel like the show peaked around season 2-3, fell off a bit in 4-5 and rebounded again with 6 and 7. The movie felt more like the season 7 finale than some sort of epic standalone event… and that’s just fine.