So we just got ATSC here in the Detroit market, so now the major networks are broadcasting in HEVC rather than just MPEG2.  I was excited hoping for less compression in sports and that sort of thing, not expecting them to broadcast anything in 4K....but for now at least it just means they can cut their bandwidth from 12 or so Mbps down to around 3 to 4 Mbps.

Maybe now they can fit even more sub channels with movies from the 70s and 80s that nobody will watch! 

Anyone else in a market with ATSC 3 that has the equipment to view it experienced anything different? 

spacer.png

spacer.png

5 hours ago, Ominous said:

Plex does a good job of recording, and cutting out the commercials. 

There's so few shows aired on over the air broadcast channels that I actually want to watch that it's easier for me to just torrent the handful of things I want. As a bonus, since I'm on the west coast, the fact that the torrent uploaders all use the east coast airing works out in my favor because of the time zone difference. I can generally be watching an 8 PM show by about 6:15 PM (as in, within about 15 minutes of the airing ending on the east coast).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@Ominous I've set up a Plex server on my Raspberry Pi, and the Android app was initially able to see the content on the server but now can't, and the Windows application is telling me to get Plex media server...:confused: I've logged everything in to my Plex account and I'm kind of at a loss for what's happening. I am able to see and play the content in the direct IP connection from my browser on the Windows side.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

@Ominous I've set up a Plex server on my Raspberry Pi, and the Android app was initially able to see the content on the server but now can't, and the Windows application is telling me to get Plex media server...:confused: I've logged everything in to my Plex account and I'm kind of at a loss for what's happening. I am able to see and play the content in the direct IP connection from my browser on the Windows side.

Hmmm. Are you able to connect to outside servers? Shoot me your plex name and I can give you access to my server to see if you have issues connecting there. Is the browser you are connecting to on the same pc as the server? If it is, and you can connect on another device, I wonder if your router is blocking ports or something 

15 minutes ago, Ominous said:

@Jasoncan you connect via your phone to 

APP.PLEX.TV

Does your server show as visable outside your network? spacer.png

This is what I'm seeing right now:

image.png

I'm especially confused because like I said, I was briefly able to see the content via the Android app. I just set this up and everything is on the same network. This is what I see in the Windows app:

image.png

And the Android app:

image.png

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

And

APP.PLEX.TV

on my Windows machine loads fine.

bf4da7e4a0c1ed2fd6faf0decc0f3846e352c6fa
FORUMS.PLEX.TV

I’m getting the error: Not available outside your network. Your server is signed in to Plex, but is not reachable from outside your network. So far I have done the following: enabled port forwarding with the in/out...

19 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm not going to pay for away-from-network access until I'm able to travel again, but once that happens, in terms of security is there anything to be particularly aware of, or is just setting everything up through Plex enough?

I haven't done anything extra except add 2 factor authentication to my plex account.