Team Coco leaves the building in June

SaysWho?

15 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I believe that Conan achieves his greatest success when he does "Conan in public" bits. He is so clever and quick-witted, he can riff off of anything when he's around people. I will never forgive NBC and Leno for what they did to him. :( He's such a standup guy, and how he treated his crew was fantastic.

Conan is great, and he was screwed, but as time has gone on, I honestly don't think it was Leno's fault. I think this was more of an NBC thing now. In Leno's case, I don't think he was actually ready to end his career in the Tonight Show, and NBC seemed to force him out so they could put Conan there since Conan was thinking of moving somewhere else if he didn't get to host it since it was a dream of his. So Leno gave it up, but I think he really missed it, and when they came back to him and asked him to host again, it's a hard offer to say no to. Conan wasn't ready to give it up either because he wasn't really given a chance to make it his own.

That seems like why the transition to Fallon had no drama; Leno seemed emotional since it was a huge part of his life, but he seemed ready to move on and give it to someone else at that point.

I say all this as someone who thinks Conan is significantly more talented and funnier than Leno and as someone who thinks Conan seems like a good guy.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Conan is great, and he was screwed, but as time has gone on, I honestly don't think it was Leno's fault. I think this was more of an NBC thing now. In Leno's case, I don't think he was actually ready to end his career in the Tonight Show, and NBC seemed to force him out so they could put Conan there since Conan was thinking of moving somewhere else if he didn't get to host it since it was a dream of his. So Leno gave it up, but I think he really missed it, and when they came back to him and asked him to host again, it's a hard offer to say no to. Conan wasn't ready to give it up either because he wasn't really given a chance to make it his own.

That seems like why the transition to Fallon had no drama; Leno seemed emotional since it was a huge part of his life, but he seemed ready to move on and give it to someone else at that point.

I say all this as someone who thinks Conan is significantly more talented and funnier than Leno and as someone who thinks Conan seems like a good guy.

Close.

When Conan took over for Letterman on Late Night, part of his contract with NBC was that he would take over The Tonight Show after X-amount of years. When X-amount of years passed, Conan basically said "okay, it's time!" and NBC went "uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...". NBC was scared that Leno would leave to go to a rival network and do a program there, so they offered him another 60-minute talk-show, The Jay Leno Show, which would air Mon-Fri in the 10-11pm slot (prime time...), followed by the local news, followed by Conan's Tonight Show, followed by Jimmy Fallon's Late Night... so, 3.5+ hours of talk-based content and not actual shows... NBC thought this idea was brilliant because it saved them money since talk shows are cheap to produce compared to sitcoms/dramas/whatever. However, unsurprisingly to any sane person, but somehow a surprise to NBC, their ratings PLUMMETED across the board almost immediately making them have the lowest ratings of any of the major networks, and by a significant amount supposedly. Leno basically refused to cut his show down to once per week instead of every week night, and instead pushed to be moved back to his 11:35 time-slot (after the local news), and shorten his show to 30-minutes, with the other shows being pushed back by 30-minutes. NBC even started airing ads with the new time-slots. They didn't talk to Conan about it, and when he found out he said "Uhh, no thanks, TTS has always aired at this time slot, I'm not willing to change that, and my contract states I have say", this reportedly caused a mini-war to break out between NBC, Leno, and Conan, with Conan basically telling NBC to F themselves and to buy him, and his crew, out of the contract.

So, yes, it was more NBC than Leno, but Leno is also a douche.

• 3 weeks later...