Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War - Propaganda Thread, update: Digital Foundry and NX Gamer PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Comparison

Commissar SFLUFAN

Game Information

Game Title: Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War

Platforms:

• PC (Nov 13, 2020)
  • PlayStation 4 (Nov 13, 2020)
  • Xbox One (Nov 13, 2020)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Nov 13, 2020)
  • PlayStation 5 (Nov 13, 2020)

Publisher: Activision

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 77 average - 64% recommended

Critic Reviews

Cheat Code Central - 4.8 / 5

All in all, Call of Duty: Black Ops: Cold War is a great entry into to Black Ops storyline. It gives an interesting view of the time, has a compelling storyline, and leaves you wanting more. That last comment, while it can be used negatively, is actually a positive here since it shows just how well things were thought out. Yes, there are flaws in the campaign, but if it factors into the plot twist, those flaws are not only forgivable, but genius. I can see areas where the game can grow through new mission DLC, but what we got at launch is a surprising gift that bridges the gaps between Black Ops and Black Ops 2. Even just the campaign makes this a buy. If you’re interested in hearing about multiplayer or Zombies, let us know and a follow up is sure to come. Just remember, if you’re a console gamer and want the next-gen upgrades, you’ll need to pay attention to which edition you’re getting. The current-gen version will only be the current-gen version.

AusGamers - 9.4 / 10

Talk about ushering in a next-generation

But Why Tho? - 9 / 10

When all is said and done Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War delivers an exciting, and intriguing spy story with its campaign. While it only clocks in at about six hours, those six hours rarely failed to entertain me. As a single piece of a bundle, it is top notch. However, if the rest of the game’s offerings hold no interest for you, I don’t know if it’ll be enough to justify the full purchase price.

Digital Chumps - 9 / 10

The PlayStation 5 version of Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War is the best in the bunch. It tells a solid campaign with branching narrative choices, contains some of the best visuals that you’ve seen on a system not called ‘PC’, and it has some good, new faces on the multiplayer scene. Is it all perfect? Not at all, but it’s a good way for Call of Duty to start on the next generation of consoles.

Final Weapon - 4.5 / 5 stars

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War is truly a fun, innovative, refreshing take on the Call of Duty formula. Let that be the excellent Campaign, the mayhem of Multiplayer, or the return of the beloved Treyarch Zombies. No matter the mode, fun awaits in each of them.

GameByte - 9 / 10 stars

Overall, Zombies mode delivers on all fronts. As I said at the start of the review, the new maps for Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War Zombies will come, but this current map provides enough entertainment for you to keep coming back and trying again and again to better your score. Currently, I am averaging around 500 zombie kills per match, but I know I could get even higher than that. It’s challenges like that which keep the longevity of this mode going. Whether you are in a squad or going solo, zombies mode is one that you certainly should not overlook.

GamingTrend - 90 / 100

Black Ops has absolutely returned with a vengeance. The fast, frantic pace is still there, and the gunplay is still just as great as you remember it. While the campaign may be the weakest part of an overall phenomenal package, it's still very satisfying and the espionage narrative packs a punch. The modes people are going to play the most, multiplayer and Zombies, are the strongest parts of Black Ops Cold War, and offer the best first person shooter gameplay in video games. PS4 and Xbox One players may be missing out on several improvements offered by the next-gen systems and PC, but it's not enough to detract from an amazing experience. My appetite for Call Of Duty: Black Ops Cold War is definitely growing, and like Duran Duran, "I'm hungry like the wolf".

God is a Geek - 9 / 10

Whether you're buying Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War for the campaign, multiplayer, or Zombies, there's so much to enjoy, with great handling, cross-progression, and much more.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 90 / 100

Black Ops Cold War delivers one of the best campaigns in the Call of Duty saga, alongside multiplayer, zombies and a perfect integration with Warzone.

PCGamesN - 9 / 10

Treyarch's latest feels like it's only a few quality of life changes away from being the perfect revival of the Black Ops series. It delivers on all three fronts and manages to subtly freshen some of the series' most stale ingredients.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 9 / 10

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War is a return to form for the franchise sub-series. While perhaps not as visually splendid as last year's Modern Warfare, it gets the Black Ops series back to boots on the ground, introducing new characters and elements while lending adequate time and attention to series favorites. Treyarch expertly steps in to continue the recent interconnected Call of Duty franchise shift, exploring and evolving the series while still creating a game that not just retains but oozes that signature Treyarch style. Perhaps more than any Call of Duty game before it, I'm more excited than ever to see where it goes in the future.

Game Informer - 8.8 / 10

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War serves up a great campaign, solid multiplayer with fresh spins, and the zany zombie modes that we've come to expect from Treyarch

Gamers Heroes - 85 / 100

Call Of Duty: Black Ops Cold War is another solid entry in the Call of Duty franchise. Fantastic shooting, great visuals, a strong story – fans of the series will find a lot to love in the latest entry. Unfortunately, for anyone else, it's just another Call of Duty game that relies entirely on the same old multiplayer and zombies to carry it through.

PPE.pl - Polish - 8.5 / 10

The production offers well-known network struggles, a very strong campaign and a pleasant mode with running corpses.

SomosXbox - Spanish - 8.5 / 10

Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War is once again a very complete tripartite experience. If you like its three aspects: campaign, multiplayer and zombies, you have content, which will also be expanded, for many months. If, on the other hand, what is calling you is any of them, all three offer a correct and compact experience by itself, being perhaps the zombie mode the most lame at the moment. All this without counting the Warzone mode, which will remain free as before.

The Games Machine - Italian - 8.5 / 10

This is the great return of a much-appreciated saga: lots of content, a non-linear campaign and various improvements manage to overshadow some technical imperfections. And above all, shooting is pretty damn fun.

Xbox Achievements - 85 / 100

For some reason, I always have a preconceived notion that I won't enjoy this year's Call of Duty. How can a series that releases every single year without fail possibly maintain a consistent quality bar? There are detractors who'd say it doesn't, but let's be honest – it does. Call of Duty: Black Ops

IGN Italy - Italian - 8.4 / 10

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War is a shooter that you shouldn't miss. The excellent campaign and fun online modes guarantee hundreds of hours of entertainment and fun.

GamePro - German - 83 / 100

Cold War offers the best CoD campaign in years, but not everyone will like the multiplayer mode.

Cerealkillerz - German - 8.2 / 10

Call of Duty Black Ops: Cold War offers on of the best campaigns in years and extends the zombie mode in the right areas. Even if the campaign is extremly short and the new multiplayer modes don't really hit the spot, Call of Duty Fans will get the usual whole package and can hope for free Updates in the future.

Spaziogames - Italian - 8.2 / 10

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War is an interesting new beginning for the series: the campaign is balanced and compelling, and the multiplayer is rich and as captivating as ever.

Attack of the Fanboy - 4 / 5 stars

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War brings the Black Ops subseries back to its roots, delivering an explosive campaign, fast-paced multiplayer, and a compelling Zombies experience.

Daily Star - 4 / 5 stars

Overall, there have been better Call of Duty games in the past, particularly around the single-player campaign. But Black Ops Cold war gets both the multiplayer mode and zombies just right and those are the ones that really count most for fans.

Destructoid - 8 / 10

From its shadowy story campaign to its frantic multiplayer action, Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War offers the thrilling and magnetic gameplay expected of the series, shined up with solid character models, impressive vistas, and sharp visual effects. While there's undeniably room for improvement regarding innovation, Black Ops Cold War gets Call of Duty's third generation off to a strong start.

Digital Spy - 4 / 5 stars

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War's campaign is tight, slick, and lots of fun, it almost avoids getting totally bogged down with militaristic mumbo jumbo, thanks to a barmy plot, and fun, albeit cliched characters, and most importantly, genuinely creative and impressive gameplay mechanics, that don't involve shooting. Sure it's as short as ever, but given it's one part of the package that includes zombies and multiplayer, it's easily the best Call of Duty story for many years, and perhaps one of the best shoot-em-up campaigns, too.

GameCrate - 8 / 10

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War brings the series back to the start in a much-needed way. Treyarch proves yet again that it is the king of multiplayer, providing exceptional, genre-defining gameplay along with a decent mix of new maps and modes that help with the lack of Zombies content. And Raven Software takes the single player campaign in a different direction that stumbles a bit in execution but lays the foundation for games to come.

GameMAG - Russian - 8 / 10

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War lends itself as a bombastic, yet short-lived game. We can only hope that this project will be well-received by Activision higher-ups, and that Raven Software will finally make name for themselves.

GameSpot - 8 / 10

So far, Cold War offers a dynamic campaign and new wrinkles to multiplayer, as well as a promising use of PS5's DualSense controller.

Gamefa - Persian - 8 / 10

Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War is not the best installment in these massive beloved series (as one of the best FPS games in History), but still it can be easily considered a must-buy  for series fans and FPS lovers, with its entertaining campaign, amazing zombie mode and fun multiplayer. Still, developers have some unbalanced weapons and technical issues to take care of. In the end Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War is a worthy game to play for evertine.

GamesBeat - 4 / 5 stars

But it’s not the best Call of Duty game I have played, and the specter of returning to Warzone battle royale games looms large over this game. That’s why I rate this game as 4-out-of-5 stars (and yes, I might rate it much closer to 4.5 stars out of 5, as it is a shade better than the Watch Dogs: Legion game I played recently). I don’t think it’s as good as last year’s Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, which was so disturbing and thoughtful and had an excellent and long single-player campaign.

Hardcore Gamer - 4 / 5

Call of Duty: Black Ops lost its way post-Black Ops III. While Black Ops III and 4 were fun in their own ways, they were also a massive departure from the core Black Ops experience.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 8 / 10

Call of Duty needs to lean on three pillars every year. If one staggers, like multiplayer, the taste in the mouth that leaves is not what we demand of an annual product, and that is the case of Black Ops Cold War. Luckily, it shouldn't take much more than the start of the Seasons and the arrival of new content to fix.

Merlin'in Kazanı - Turkish - 80 / 100

In the end, I don't want to remove the responsibility of saying take it or not, because the image of Call of Duty games is obvious. That's why I'm adding it to the list of games that should be given the chance.

Pixel Arts - Persian - 8 / 10

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War offers fun and mind-bending Campaign. Certain elements like dialog options, multiple endings, and non-linear levels were less prevalent in the series. However, the length of the Campaign is pretty short and exactly when you reach the story’s climax, the story comes to a close. Rocky development and the current world situation have made the Multiplayer and Zombies a bit lacking and buggy but if you don’t encounter those bugs throughout the game, you’re in for a fun ride. The [somewhat] return of the Prestige system adds a huge replayability value to the game. This game has great foundations. The gunplay is stellar, the map design is good and the graphics look great on the new consoles. Underneath all the bugs and crashes lies a great Call of Duty game. We have to wait and see how Treyarch handles this game and makes it what it’s meant to be.

Press Start - 8 / 10

Although the campaign is only a small slice of the larger package in Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War, it's great that it counters its 'blink and you'll miss it' length with a bit of replay value and some memorable missions you're bound to want to play again. Raven Software's more subtle approach to Cold War espionage feels like viewing Call of Duty through a new, exciting lens.

TrueGaming - Arabic - 8 / 10

Story missions disappointed, but the content is big and diverse enough to satisfy. Overall, this is a good game that captured the setting and the tension between the two powerful countries in early 80s very well.

Twisted Voxel - 8 / 10

While not everything sticks the landing, Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War is a well-rounded package that’s bound to have something or the other for Call of Duty fans.

Wccftech - 8 / 10

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War is as close to true call of Duty as you're likely to find in recent years, for better or for worse. The campaign does branch out a little, offering you side-missions that are unlocked through evidence gathering, which is fun. It's also engaging, featuring a good number of entertaining set pieces. However, it's also insane and has way too many throwaway 'features'. Multiplayer, and the zombie mode, are both very enjoyable to play and multiplayer has been made more engaging for those who used to struggle to get massive kill streaks. However, there's no doubt that the multiplayer is seriously lacking in maps. Also, the game needs some technical polish. Still, all in all, this is still a strong FPS and one that will keep fans coming back for more.

COGconnected - 79 / 100

Treyarch is quick to admin they faced development challenges during the pandemic. To a degree, it shows. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War doesn’t innovate in any big way. It merely gives Call of Duty fans more of what they have been accustomed to playing year after year. At the same time, Cold War is truly an enjoyable experience delivering over 100gigs of content that’ll get ongoing support and free content long after this review is posted. In short, better days ahead. Cold War will once again be considered the must-have shooter this holiday season. Deservedly so. Just don’t expect anything incredibly groundbreaking

Digitally Downloaded - 3.5 / 5 stars

I've never played a game more thoroughly unpleasant than Black Ops Cold War, but since this is the video game industry, the only thing I'm meant to be talking about is how much fun it is to press those buttons. So, let's finish the review and do that (since I know this conclusion is all most people are going to read anyway). Yes, it is fun to press buttons. You can even press buttons in multiplayer, and after however many Call of Duty titles now, the half dozen development teams that worked on this thing know how to make multiplayer button pressing fun. There are standard multiplayer modes, and classics like Zombies are back because people like those modes. It's all very accessible since this series is as mainstream as they come and Activision would hate for people to find it overwhelming. In short, if you want to play Black Ops Cold War as a completely passive sponge, then you'll have a lot of fun pressing those buttons. This score, below, is for you. For anyone else who is even mildly interested in thinking about the games they play, I can't put into words clearly enough how unacceptable I find this game to be.

GameByte - 7 / 10 stars

Overall, the campaign for Black Ops: Cold War is a very enjoyable experience. The story itself has a very well-written narrative with Christopher Nolan’s Inception levels of confusion right up until the final few missions. The length of the campaign and replayability is a big concern for me though. Most gamers will speed through this campaign, never to return to it again upon completion because there is simply nothing worth doing once you are all done. Of course, the Multiplayer and Zombies modes will have an effect on your experience of the game, but you’ll have to wait for a further deepdive of those.

GamesRadar+ - 3.5 / 5 stars

A Call of Duty title that reigns everything in and is afraid to try something new, Black Ops Cold War gets the basics spot on but doesn't have enough content to warrant the price tag.

IGN - 7 / 10

Cold War's quiet times are more memorable than the loud ones, even if the story's ambition outweighs its execution.

IGN - 7 / 10

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War's Zombies mode has some of the best moment-to-moment gameplay in the series but its single map and lack of split-screen multiplayer sap its endurance.

TheSixthAxis - 7 / 10

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War is a decent entry in the series, but it feels like it doesn't quite know what it wants to be. The campaign is full of underused ideas, while the multiplayer misses some of the magical charm of Modern Warfare, opting for faster paced aggressive battles which just don't feel as satisfying. While still enjoyable, Black Ops Cold War fails to recapture the magic of Black Ops 1 and 2.

Windows Central - 3.5 / 5 stars

The campaign brings enjoyable new mechanics to the formula but multiplayer and Zombies both fall short of expectations and needed performance, with weaker gunplay and an unstable framerate respectively.

PC Gamer - 69 / 100

Cold War is an inessential distraction from the best Call of Duty on offer.

DualShockers - 6 / 10

Call of Duty: Black Ops - Cold War manages to take some interesting steps forward in storytelling for the franchise, but the campaign is still largely a letdown.

Game Rant - 3 / 5 stars

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War will be a great game with time, but its launch is disappointing thanks to technical issues and a lack of content.

GameByte - 6 / 10 stars

Black Ops Cold War’s multiplayer brings enough new content to the table to offer the user a number of new experiences which quantifies buying the game. Unfortunately, these modes can grow a bit stale after a while. Yes, they are classed as ‘new’ modes but they heavily borrow from modes that have been present in the past. Vehicle warfare does not quite reach the lofty expectations promised. It’s a fun enough experience, but I found myself leaning a lot more towards Zombies rather than the multiplayer mode.

Gameblog - French - 6 / 10

Call of Duty Black Ops is not the hottest episode in the series. It feels a bit rushed, as its campaign is too short and doesn't rely enough on its fresh ideas. Multiplayer doesn't offer enough maps and we can question weapons balance and netcode. Zombie Mode is probably the most satisfying thing, but we have to be patient, as new content is on its way.

GamesRadar+ - 3 / 5 stars

A laudable shake-up of the Call of Duty campaign formula, but Black Ops Cold War misses some targets.

GamingBolt - 6 / 10

While the single player campaign has some interesting ideas, Black Ops Cold War is let down by anemic content offerings, a Zombies mode that is starting to show its age, inconsistent map design, and some odd regressions, all of which makes this an unfortunately easy recommendation to skip, at least at launch.

IGN - 6 / 10

This year's Call of Duty multiplayer is somewhat of a backwards step for the series.

Metro GameCentral - 6 / 10

Not a standout year for Call Of Duty, as while the campaign offers some fun action and minor innovation Zombies and multiplayer are beginning to feel very tired.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 6 / 10

Other than the amazing story mode, there is nothing special or unique here, the game still plays and feels good, but it is too classic and it does not feel complete, I always liked Black Ops because Treyarch takes care of every little detail, but sadly this did not happen here.

Telegraph - 3 / 5 stars

The short but solid Campaign and back to basics multiplayer lack major innovations but offer plenty of run and gun fun all the same

Jump Dash Roll - 5 / 10

Call of Duty Black Ops: Cold War's multiplayer is terrible, its campaign is forgettable and its zombies are okay, which all makes for a game that feels like a much worse iteration of previous installments into the franchise.

GameOnAUS - No Recommendation / Blank

What I’d hoped for was a detailed but fun shooter which makes the most of its setting. What I got is Call Of Duty With The Soviets As The Bad Guys, albeit with about as much realism as an 80s straight-to-VHS action movie but without the self-awareness.

Kotaku - Unscored

Cold War takes all those positives from Modern Warfare, and now we’re one step further with pretty much cross-everything. The multiplayer and Zombies matches are crossplay and cross-generation, meaning no one gets left behind if they couldn’t score a new PS5 or Xbox. There’s also cross-progression, so you can switch platforms without losing your progress.

Polygon - Unscored

Then, as your character nears their breaking point, a door opens to your side, revealing a small dark room with an arcade cabinet in it. It's a game of Kaboom!, which involves catching an endless cascade of bombs as they are dropped by a tiny figure at the top of the screen. Offscreen you can hear your handlers sigh in relief as Bell's stress levels ease back down to the baseline, absorbed, as you are, by a simulated arcade game from 1981. Even resisting the programming winds up being its own kind of programming.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored

But CODBLOPS: Cold War doesn’t reach the levels of self-awareness required to overpower its poor taste. It feels written to justify the actions of ruthless men and doesn’t offer the most basic character development required to give its deathsquad the benefit of the doubt. As a game, it’s a predictable ride. As a piece of fiction, it is servile.

Stevivor - Unscored

If it didn’t carry the COD name, it could very well have been labeled as an entirely different game marketed as “from the creators of Black Ops”. Raven and Treyarch have tried something new here, and delivered a refreshing Call of Duty single-player experience — just be aware it’s a smaller scale spy thriller, not an epic open warfare game.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War - Propaganda Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

I’ve already played through the campaign - it’s extremely short, maybe 4-5hrs. But there’s multiple endings and overall it’s really fun. The ending is kinda nuts. I’ll definitely have to replay at least the last 2 missions to try out some different choices and see what happens. It also looks great on XSX. 

As for the MP, I feel like this game is a step back in every direction from MW19, except maybe the sound. It’s like a cheap knockoff version of MW19. The graphics, the menus, the upgrades/loadouts, the movement, it’s all inferior and feels cheap and unpolished. Let alone the fact that there’s barely any modes and season 1 doesn’t officially begin until December sometime. However - the dirty Bomb mode is pretty awesome. It’s like a mini warzone mode where you can respawn and keep playing. I almost wish they would do this mode in MW19. 

6 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

When I see that pic of Reagan I can only think of press F to sell crack in the inner cities.

2 hours ago, Brick said:

Nah man, press F to deny the AIDS epidemic. 

You're both wrong!

It's "Press F to illegally sell arms to Iran in the hopes of freeing hostages in Lebanon and using the proceeds from the sale to (also illegally) fund a right-wing death squad in Nicaragua"!

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War - Propaganda Thread, update: Digital Foundry PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Comparison
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War - Propaganda Thread, update: Digital Foundry and NX Gamer PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Comparison