Matt Reeves' The Batman is Getting a Companion Series on HBO/MAX Created by Reeves and Terrance Winter

Seems like a more adult and grittier version of Gotham 

HBO Max has given a series commitment to an original DC drama set in the Gotham City police department, from The Batman filmmaker Matt Reeves, Boardwalk Empire creator Terence Winter, The Batman producer Dylan Clark and Warner Bros Television.

Written by Winter, the series is set in the world Reeves is creating for The Batman feature and will build upon the film’s examination of the anatomy of corruption in Gotham City, launching a new Batman universe across multiple platforms. The series will extend the world established in the movie and further explore the myriad complex characters of Gotham. This marks the first project for Reeves under his recently announced major overall deal with the Warner Bros Television Group.

“This is an amazing opportunity, not only to expand the vision of the world I am creating in the film, but to explore it in the kind of depth and detail that only a longform format can afford — and getting to work with the incredibly talented Terence Winter, who has written so insightfully and powerfully about worlds of crime and corruption, is an absolute dream,” Reeves said.

It is unclear whether Batman will be among the characters on the show. Similarly set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, ABC’s Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. does not feature any of the MCU’s famous superheroes. Kevin Reilly, chief content officer, HBO Max, president TNT, TBS, and TruTV, hinted at the streamer’s long-term plans for an integrated Batman universe. “Our collaboration with Warner Bros and DC allows us to elaborate and grow fan connections across these powerful brands for years to come. This is Batman as most audiences have never seen before, and we know fans will want to spend more time in this new world inspired by the film,” Reilly said.

Depends on how far back of a prequel it is. A couple years could work for the first season or two, and then following seasons could deal with all the changing fallout of the freaks taking over crime in Gotham. Since it's HBO they would also be able to afford cameos from the big stars. Could even be Jeffrey Wright's next gig after Westworld is over. 

If it's set decades before the events of the movie, I don't see how it would be interesting without the supervillains that make this mythos interesting, but then it just repeats the show Gotham's mistakes if it brings in those villains too early. 

• 1 month later...

The HBO/MAX Prequel series will take place a year before the movie

In between Matt Reeves divulging details about his upcoming 2021 The Batman movie and the trailer drop during DC FanDome tonight, the filmmaker unloaded some intel about the HBO Max series connected to the pic, which he’s executive producing with Boardwalk Empire creator Terence Winter.

We already knew that the series would be an examination of the anatomy of corruption in Gotham City, however, Reeves said the series is a prequel to his Batman Year Two movie, with the show set in Batman Year One when a “masked vigilante…starts to unsettle the city”. The series will zero in on the city’s corruption that “goes back many years,” said Reeves and is told from the POV of a crooked cop.

I'm betting Harvey Bullock is the main character in this... or Renee Montoya. Either way I'm as excited for this as I am for the movie if not moreso.