The Nashville tornado looked really creepy at night

So it went by my part of town. I'm safe and had no damage. I'm hearing from a lot of friends that are also safe and don't have any damage. 

But the middle of the city is ripped up. This thing went through higher density areas, and an entertainment district. Lots of homes/apartments/other buildings either severely damaged or completely destroyed. 

I was woken up last night around 12:30 by tornado sirens. The storms intensified quickly and if anyone was asleep during this, they didn't know until the sirens went off. I checked the local weather real quick and thanks to good local weather teams and a general knowledge of how to read radar images, I knew the general direction this was headed. And it looked too close for comfort. So I took the dog and headed to the basement. Never heard anything but some slight wind. But it completely destroyed an entire elementary school not a mile from me. \

If I see more stuff (significant news, pics, etc) I'll use it to post it here. 

Your man on the ground, reporting live for CEB INVESTIGATES

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CayceG said:

So it went by my part of town. I'm safe and had no damage. I'm hearing from a lot of friends that are also safe and don't have any damage. 

But the middle of the city is ripped up. This thing went through higher density areas, and an entertainment district. Lots of homes/apartments/other buildings either severely damaged or completely destroyed. 

I was woken up last night around 12:30 by tornado sirens. The storms intensified quickly and if anyone was asleep during this, they didn't know until the sirens went off. I checked the local weather real quick and thanks to good local weather teams and a general knowledge of how to read radar images, I knew the general direction this was headed. And it looked too close for comfort. So I took the dog and headed to the basement. Never heard anything but some slight wind. But it completely destroyed an entire elementary school not a mile from me. \

If I see more stuff (significant news, pics, etc) I'll use it to post it here. 

Your man on the ground, reporting live for CEB INVESTIGATES

Didn't know whether to upvote for info, sad face for school, or laugh due to the final part, so I laughed due to the final part. Glad you got little from it.

I live a few hours away in southern Indiana. I went to bed early for work and was surprised in the middle of the night cause it sounded like a hell of a storm was rolling through. 

I woke up, went to work, and I'm on break now. Didn't know there had been tornados, but I wondered about it because it's been creeping over 60 here the past few days.

So Cookeville, Tennessee arguably got it worse than Nashville. I went to college in Cookeville, so that feels like a second home. 

There are now 21 dead, 16 of which are from Cookeville. 

ESNFEA-XkAE0ztB.jpg

ESNFEA3XsAEch-z.jpg

@SaysWho? can lend his expertise to this, but the damage in Cookeville seems far more significant and indicative of a stronger tornado:

13 minutes ago, CayceG said:

So Cookeville, Tennessee arguably got it worse than Nashville. I went to college in Cookeville, so that feels like a second home. 

There are now 21 dead, 16 of which are from Cookeville. 

ESNFEA-XkAE0ztB.jpg

ESNFEA3XsAEch-z.jpg

@SaysWho? can lend his expertise to this, but the damage in Cookeville seems far more significant and indicative of a stronger tornado:

We don't get the same super strong tornadoes in Florida as in Appalachia and the Plains, so it's not my bread and butter as hurricanes are, but this tornado sounds like a very strong one from what I'm reading. Since a tornado's strength is determined by damage caused (unlike hurricanes which are determined by wind speed), we won't know the official designation until later. But I don't see ones on the lower end of the scale do the damage this one did; buildings that get leveled are typically at least EF4.

It's been a big day. I have a cold or something and left work early. But some of my coworkers don't have power at their houses. And people are trying to figure out how to vote this evening because, oh right, it's Super Tuesday. So far, the election commission has put out a bunch of pop-up polling stations that serve as alternates. I hope it works really well. 

If anyone wants to donate money, this is the charity that the Mayor identified as being the preferred channel:

https://www.cfmt.org/

Here's some bittersweet wholesome: