Army officer returns home to San Diego to say goodbye to mother before her deportation

Jason

:flag: THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE SIR, MERRY CHRISTMAS! :flag:

He will not have any more time off over the holidays to be with his family, including his mother’s birthday on Sunday.

“I’m here essentially to say goodbye to my mom,” he said.

Because he is an intelligence officer, the process for him to get permission to travel outside the U.S. for personal reasons is long and complicated, he said, which will make it difficult for him to visit his mother after her deportation.

After college, Cruz gave up a dream of going to law school to enlist in the Army. He hoped that gesture of service to the U.S. would mean that the country would allow his mother to stay.

The family is worried that Rebollar Gomez’s ties to the U.S., and particularly to the military, will make her a target.

“She would be an easy paycheck for them,” Cruz said of the cartels. “How am I supposed to keep her safe?”

And I'm sure it's great for opsec to make an intelligence officer open to blackmail like that! 

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/immigration/story/2019-12-22/army-officer-returns-home-deportation