Is the Samsung Q9F the best gaming TV?

I was pretty confident that the next TV I bought would be an LG OLED, but I just ran across this promotional material for the Samsung Q9F series:

https://www.samsung.com/us/explore/qled-tv/gaming-tv/?cid=smp-mktg-stc-tv-07182018-122317

Highlights (also from search googling):

• Freesync VRR
  • 20ms input lag
  • No burn in or image retention
  • Only modestly worse black levels than OLED
  • Much brighter than OLED
  • HDR10+

That's a pretty damn compelling counter point to an LG OLED for a gamer. From what I can tell, it only slightly loses on black level. Are there other reasons to still consider an LG OLED though? Do you guys think that LG OLEDs next year would be able to make up the gap and surpass for gaming?

Regarding the VRR, I understand that the HDMI standard for VRR may be different than FreeSync, but would it be safe to conclude that whatever it is would be something that could be patched into firmware for a display that supports Freesync?

1 hour ago, Emblazon said:

Deepest blacks are only really noticeable when you are in a pitch black room, and how often is that?

Don’t own an OLED, do you?

Anyways, Legend, it’s a fine TV. One of my buddies has one so I’ve been able to see it in a real world setting.

Still wouldn’t personally buy a non-OLED set ever again, but it’s a solid TV.

2 hours ago, legend said:

Really? No comments at all? :p Should I have posted this GG?

The entire site is slower over the weekend. :p

If we're a couple of days into the week and you still haven't gotten a lot of feedback, ping me and I'll move it to GG for you.

As for the TV, hasn't HDR not settled on a universal standard yet? I'd personally be reluctant to buy a new TV until that happens, especially a $3,000 TV.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Don’t own an OLED, do you?

Anyways, Legend, it’s a fine TV. One of my buddies has one so I’ve been able to see it in a real world setting.

Still wouldn’t personally buy a non-OLED set ever again, but it’s a solid TV.

Any particular reason you would still prefer OLED?

1 hour ago, Jason said:

The entire site is slower over the weekend. :p

If we're a couple of days into the week and you still haven't gotten a lot of feedback, ping me and I'll move it to GG for you.

As for the TV, hasn't HDR not settled on a universal standard yet? I'd personally be reluctant to buy a new TV until that happens, especially a $3,000 TV.

I was a bit concerned too, but I did some googling. First, it sounds like everyone supports a baseline version of HDR, that being HDR10. HDR10+ is indeed in competition with Dolby Vision, but it sounds like HDR10+ might be better and stands a good chance of winning.

I'm basing that off this site and some others, so it's possible I'm being naive.

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/what-is-hdr10-3294683

So while I suppose its possible HDR10+ might not win, based on that info that doesn't mean you can't get HDR content at all even if Dolby wins. If one wants to wait things out, it may be a while, and I was planning on next year being the longest I'd wait regardless. My 08/09 (can't remember which year) Panny Plasma has had a damn fine run though!