'Give me some of that money,' Trump tells Fed in speech on the economy

Jason

President Trump touted a soaring stock market, but said "If the Fed had worked with us, those numbers could have been higher by 25 percent."

The Fed raised rates too quickly and was too slow to cut them, said Trump during remarks to the Economic Club of New York. He also pushed for negative rates, noting that other countries "openly cut interest rates so that many are now actually getting paid when they pay off their loan," Trump said. “Give me some of that. Give me some of that money. I want some of that money. Our Federal Reserve doesn’t let us do it.”

• Haha 1

Negative rates have been a pretty clear failure wherever they’ve been tried, unless you define success by how much you financially enfeeble pension funds and people’s retirement savings. IMO,  If the Fed resorted to them it would be seen as a sign of weakness and desperation, not monetary prudence.  And it might even strengthen the dollar by triggering a flight to safety, thus accomplishing the opposite of what it’s supposed to.

12 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Negative rates have been a pretty clear failure wherever they’ve been tried, unless you define success by how much you financially enfeeble pension funds and people’s retirement savings. IMO,  If the Fed resorted to them it would be seen as a sign of weakness and desperation, not monetary prudence.  And it might even strengthen the dollar by triggering a flight to safety, thus accomplishing the opposite of what it’s supposed to.

But it would save Trump money.

Checkmate