Secret tape recordings rock Georgia governor race

I was about to post this in the midterms thread, but some of the details of this race make it worthy of its own.

Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle's campaign was already rocked last month by the release of a secretly recorded conversation in which Cagle said he backed what he called "bad public policy" for political gain. Cagle's runoff opponent, Secretary of State Brian Kemp, released another snippet of that conversation Monday.

In this 50-second piece , Cagle can be heard candidly discussing the GOP primary's sharp turn to the right, saying the five-man race came down to "who had the biggest gun, who had the biggest truck and who could be the craziest."

Kemp has garnered his own strong criticism — and national headlines — for a series of provocative television ads ran during the primary. In one ad, Kemp holds a shotgun and pretends to threaten a young man interested in his daughter. In another, Kemp says "I got a big truck," as he slams the door on a pickup, "just in case I need to round up criminal illegals and take 'em home myself."

"Pointing guns at kids. Blowing things up. It's silliness. Some might say 'crazy.' No, scratch that, nearly everybody would say it's crazy," Cagle's campaign said.

Asked by The Associated Press whether the Kemp campaign has still more snippets it's holding onto, Kemp spokesman, Ryan Mahoney, said: "We will continue to create a clear contrast between Kemp and Cagle in the weeks leading up to Election Day on July 24th."

In this 50-second piece , Cagle can be heard candidly discussing the GOP primary's sharp turn to the right, saying the five-man race came down to "who had the biggest gun, who had the biggest truck and who could be the craziest." 

Very mysterious how he could've gotten this idea