Trump is back on the steam vs digital nonsense.

Trump Says U.S. Aircraft Carrier Design Is ‘Wrong,’ Plans Overhaul

Trump polled the sailors and Marines on the USS Wasp on steam versus electric catapults Tuesday during a visit to the the Yokosuka naval base south of Tokyo, the biggest overseas U.S. naval installation.

Trump told the Japan base personnel that steam catapults work better than the newer, higher-tech systems.

“Steam’s only worked for about 65 years perfectly. And I won’t tell you this because it’s before my time by a little bit, but they have a $900 million cost overrun on this crazy electric catapult,” he said. “They want to show -- next, next, next. And we all want innovation, but it’s too much.”

Trump says he'll put in an order so that the next carrier we build will use steam. I think the safe assumption is that he'll forget, and the formal process for this will never actually start. However, if it did, there is one more Ford class carrier scheduled to launch this year, and another scheduled to be laid down next year. After that the next ones won't be laid down until 2023 and 2027. So I suppose it's possible for this crazy order to actually affect one carrier, maybe two if he wins re-election.

1 minute ago, TwinIon said:

Trump says he'll put in an order so that the next carrier we build will use steam. I think the safe assumption is that he'll forget, and the formal process for this will never actually start. However, if it did, there is one more Ford class carrier scheduled to launch this year, and another scheduled to be laid down next year. After that the next ones won't be laid down until 2023 and 2027. So I suppose it's possible for this crazy order to actually affect one carrier, maybe two if he wins re-election.

Kind of explains why the Navy wants to buy 2 in a single contract.