The Witcher tabletop RPG to debut at Gen Con next month

Great that it will be there for people that want to play it, but I'd have to wonder if it would probably get many people to play especially if it doesn't run off the system most people are used to.  Honestly I've just went on the time to try and make Witcher like characters in DnD so I'm also not just stuck in that setting.  I may try and get a copy of this though if I can.  It would be nice at least for reference purposes.

1 hour ago, DemonEyesJason said:

Great that it will be there for people that want to play it, but I'd have to wonder if it would probably get many people to play especially if it doesn't run off the system most people are used to.  Honestly I've just went on the time to try and make Witcher like characters in DnD so I'm also not just stuck in that setting.  I may try and get a copy of this though if I can.  It would be nice at least for reference purposes.

It's using the Cyberpunk 2020 system, correct?

On 7/11/2018 at 3:55 PM, GeneticBlueprint said:

I've never played a tabletop RPG. None of my friends were ever into that. I would really like to play this one. I've read two of the Witcher books and loved them. I love the videogames. I'm sure I'd love this.

Check out Blades in the Dark.

It's a D6 based tabletop RPG about being a group of scoundrels in a haunted, "whalepunk," city in the vein of Dishonored. I'd not played many tabletop RPGs before and had certainly never GM'd one. But a bunch of my buddies went to a cabin this winter and I GM'd. The time just flew by, it was great.

The system does a great job of letting the GM and the players make the fiction as they go. The book has a general framework, setting, district maps, some prebaked rivalries and suggested scores. But part of why we liked it so much is that we sorta played it like we were making up the world as we went within the author's framework. The players decided to be a gang of drug pushers, so they got to decide how their drug worked, why it was better than what was currently available, how they could keep their sources exclusive, etc. So unlike something more traditional like DnD, where your characters have explicit hitpoints, enemies have explicit skills, it's a lot more conversational.

On most scores you also just jump right into the first conflict. So if the players in our game were gonna go to a local den, kick people out, and take over their turf, we'd roll for engagement based on their advantages / disadvantages, and the outcome of that roll would dictate where we start. A great roll could establish, "okay you have a guy on the inside who can vouch for you and your tight with the Gondoliers, so we'll assume there was no trouble getting to or into the spot." Where a crap roll would be more like, "Okay, you're tight with the Gondoliers so they can get you close, but the ferryman was out late last night and is coming off his high, so he's drawing attention to the boat by being bragging about something going down to anyone you pass on the river. And your man inside is going to want a cut of the score for selling out his current employer."

You also just pick a load before you go, light / normal / heavy, and you can "spawn" items mid-score based on your need provided you don't exceed your load. You don't have to say, "I'm going to bring my pistols and my bone charm," beforehand. If shit gets spooky, you can say, "good thing I brought my bone charm," tick it off, and you're good. You can also flash back when you run into trouble, which helps avoid analysis paralysis pre-mission. Take some stress when you run into a guard, flash back, and roleplay how you bribed him or kidnapped his kid for leverage before the score.

Dunno how your comment turned into a novella on Blades... I guess I miss playing!

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...