Seven MPs leave Labour Party in protest at Jeremy Corbyn's leadership

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47278902

Seven MPs have resigned from the Labour Party in protest at Jeremy Corbyn's approach to Brexit and anti-Semitism.

They are: Chuka Umunna, Luciana Berger, Chris Leslie, Angela Smith, Mike Gapes, Gavin Shuker and Ann Coffey.

Ms Berger said Labour had become institutionally anti-Semitic and she was "embarrassed and ashamed" to stay.

Mr Corbyn said he was "disappointed" the MPs had felt unable to continue working for the policies that "inspired millions" at the 2017 election.

Each of the seven took turns to explain their personal reasons for quitting the party.

Ms Berger said: "I am leaving behind a culture of bullying, bigotry and intimidation. I look forward to a future serving with colleagues who respect each other."

Chris Leslie said Labour under Mr Corbyn had been "hijacked by the machine politics of the hard left".

Mike Gapes said: "I am sickened that Labour is now perceived by many as a racist, anti-Semitic party."

He added that it was "increasingly clear that prominent figures in the Corbyn Labour leadership do not want to stop Brexit".

Ms Berger initially introduced herself as "the Labour Party MP", before correcting herself and saying: "I am the Member of Parliament for Liverpool Wavertree."

Laura Parker, national coordinator of grassroots Labour campaign Momentum, said the seven MPs wanted to "take us back to the politics of the past" and the "Blair years programme of privatisation, tax cuts for the rich and deregulation of the banks".

• Guillotine 2

16 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

Yeah I totally believe anti-semitism doesn’t exist :thumbup:

You have repeatedly defended the use of anti-Semitic language when it is used by people who you agree with politically. Hill straight up used the slogan of anti-Jew genocidal plans and you were like "definitely not anti-semitic". It's NEVER anti-semitism according to you. It is functionally non-existent when every instance of it is characterized by you as just some conspiracy to stop people from criticizing Israel. You are bothered when people who do it apologize for it.

I’m bothered when phony anti-semitic accusations are lobbied against people as a way to discredit them without addressing the underlying political disagreement.

show me why you think Corbyn is an anti-Semite.  There are probably a few hundred guardian articles you can look through if you have trouble finding anything

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

I’m bothered when phony anti-semitic accusations are lobbied against people as a way to discredit them without addressing the underlying political disagreement.

show me why you think Corbyn is an anti-Semite.  There are probably a few hundred guardian articles you can look through if you have trouble finding anything

I already linked to one that gives specific examples. And there are hundreds of them because he has been quite prolific in "accidentally" saying anti-semitic things for quite some time now, and many of the examples have nothing to do with Israel so the typical "it's just a criticism of Israel" defense doesn't hold.