How many here have the GPD Win 2?

Rev

2 minutes ago, Rev said:

How do you like yours? What do you primarily use it for?

I like it a lot for what it is, namely a very light weight portable for gaming and web surfing. I take mine on work trips, which is a godsend for long flights. Each generation of these units improves upon the last and I am very much looking forward to the 3rd generation of this hardware in 2020(current best guess). The controls and button layout are clearly superior to the previous generation. I'm really hoping they find a way to add the L3/R3 clicks into the analogs next generation, and are then able to eliminate the corresponding shoulder buttons.  They are a perfectly workable solution, but the habits developed on my Xbox and PS controllers does not go away! If the Win 1 was a proof of concept, then the win 2 is its market ready offspring.

That said, its still just enough behind the power curve that its not quite what it bills itself to be. Its amazing for indie gaming though! Its battery life is really good compared to the first unit and very reasonable for what it does, and as it compares to other modern portables of a similar form factor.  The build quality of my unit is great, though I've heard results were less good with the first batch(poor backers). Overall, its a fun little piece of kit that sets the stage for a bright future in generations 3 and 4! It seems the "steamboy" has arrived after all. 

6 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I like it a lot for what it is, namely a very light weight portable for gaming and web surfing. I take mine on work trips, which is a godsend for long flights. Each generation of these units improves upon the last and I am very much looking forward to the 3rd generation of this hardware in 2020(current best guess). The controls and button layout are clearly superior to the previous generation. I'm really hoping they find a way to add the L3/R3 clicks into the analogs next generation, and are then able to eliminate the corresponding shoulder buttons.  They are a perfectly workable solution, but the habits developed on my Xbox and PS controllers does not go away! If the Win 1 was a proof of concept, then the win 2 is its market ready offspring.

That said, its still just enough behind the power curve that its not quite what it bills itself to be. Its amazing for indie gaming though! Its battery life is really good compared to the first unit and very reasonable for what it does, and as it compares to other modern portables of a similar form factor.  The build quality of my unit is great, though I've heard results were less good with the first batch(poor backers). Overall, its a fun little piece of kit that sets the stage for a bright future in generations 3 and 4! It seems the "steamboy" has arrived after all. 

Nice! Yeah, I plan to use it mostly for emulating, streaming and indie/oldschool gaming. I'm gonna get GTA 5 just because I still need to finish it but I've seen the youtube videos on it and I know how badly it runs compared to a current gen PC.

11 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I think you are sliiiightly underselling it, but I’ve probably put more time into customizing settings and games! I’m not sure if it’s really behind what it’s supposed to be, but what I expected was just something that could play pretty much everything last gen and back and current indies, which it does very well!

Honestly, the amount of current gen games (SF5/Dragon Age Inquisition/Madden 19/Vampyr/Soul Calibur 6/etc) thst I’ve gotten to work well with just in game settings has surprised me! Others you just need to know some ini stuff. And obviously you need to undervolt it and up the tdp.

However, on their page they do try to make it too much of a current gen machine and right out of the box, so I’ll agree with you there. It’s really not what it should be at this time, but it is creeping up there and with a little know how it’s crazt what this thing does!

Also, thanks again. :D

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

How comfortable is it to use?  Better than the Switch?

I guess it depends on the person, personally I find the switch perhaps the most comfortable because of it’s length with the joycons seems comfortable to me, it’s a little bit heavier than the switch also. Some might find it more comfortable because it’s not as wide, I’d imagine that would be the difference. Both are comfortable for me tho, not like the cramped 3ds.