Is this the worst console generation since before the NES?

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

There’s still more.  Ghostwrite Tokyo is supposedly awful about it.  Castillo Protocol. Wo Long. Chernobylite. Probably a bunch of UE4 indie games where it isn’t getting the same attention. (Supposedly Bramble is another)

Its too big of a problem to hand-wave, at least for the end of last gen/early this gen.  Sucks that it’s pretty much a permanent problem for those games that aren’t fixed.

A bunch of bad games had the issue, yes.

(Most of them also stutter on consoles, but most console gamers don't give a shit and couldn't spot a stutter even if their Youtube video buffered for 10 minutes.)

Stuttering IS bad and annoying and should be pointed out and I love Alex from DF’s focus on it and think it’s actually helping the game industry. But there are soooo many types of stutter and reasons why and variables and now I’m seeing it most often mentioned in a light that seems to assume console games aren’t stuttering all over the place. 

31 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

A bunch of bad games had the issue, yes.

(Most of them also stutter on consoles, but most console gamers don't give a shit and couldn't spot a stutter even if their Youtube video buffered for 10 minutes.)

1 hour ago, stepee said:

But even if Bramble, Stray, Wild Hearts,  Chernobylite, and Wo Long run better on console or did around launch it’s not a convincing set of titles to bother making it a “plus” vs pc. And that’s just me assuming those games do for benefit of doubt.

No, but Jedi Survivor and Elden Ring alone are enough to be frustrated about.  Ideally, a good PC should be able to power through frametime issues present in console releases, not to have even more added on top, no matter your rig.  That's what makes the shader stutter issue so egregious.  From a value standpoint, console games shouldn't be running smoother than on a PC you spent twice as much on.

20 minutes ago, stepee said:

Stuttering IS bad and annoying and should be pointed out and I love Alex from DF’s focus on it and think it’s actually helping the game industry. But there are soooo many types of stutter and reasons why and variables and now I’m seeing it most often mentioned in a light that seems to assume console games aren’t stuttering all over the place. 

Yes, there is truth to this.  But generally speaking, stutter on consoles tends to be less pronounced and frequent, due to optimizations possible for fixed hardware.  It's more the general framerate and fidelity dips that consoles get to deal more with.  Though traversal stutters and occasional hitches aren't beyond them.

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

No, but Jedi Survivor and Elden Ring alone are enough to be frustrated about.  Ideally, a good PC should be able to power through frametime issues present in console releases, not to have even more added on top, no matter your rig.  That's what makes the shader stutter issue so egregious.  From a value standpoint, console games shouldn't be running smoother than on a PC you spent twice as much on.

Yes, there is truth to this.  But generally speaking, stutter on consoles tends to be less pronounced and frequent, due to optimizations possible for fixed hardware.  It's more the general framerate and fidelity dips that consoles get to deal more with.

honestly I think we mostly agree so hugs

• Halal 1

13 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Yes, there is truth to this.  But generally speaking, stutter on consoles tends to be less pronounced and frequent, due to optimizations possible for fixed hardware.  It's more the general framerate and fidelity dips that consoles get to deal more with.  Though traversal stutters and occasional hitches aren't beyond them.

Yes and no. Stutters are less pronounced at lower frame rates, for example. And less pronounced on very powerful CPUs, so depending on the game you can get "stutter parity" with console versions on PC which is very funny to me. But yes I absolutely hate stutter.

Just now, Xbob42 said:

Yes and no. Stutters are less pronounced at lower frame rates, for example. And less pronounced on very powerful CPUs, so depending on the game you can get "stutter parity" with console versions on PC which is very funny to me. But yes I absolutely hate stutter.

If the net negative of finally addressing stutter because let’s be real it’s been an issue for at least 15 years is ammo for console bois then I’ll take it!

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

If the net negative of finally addressing stutter because let’s be real it’s been an issue for at least 15 years is ammo for console bois then I’ll take it!

Yeah, I'll take whatever we can get to get rid of it.

That said...

Goes back to playing King's Field 2 on Duckstation at 20 FPS

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

So much blame for this falls on Epic.  I bet UE4 games that actually do a good job, like Days Gone and Gears 5, had to do a lot of tweaking under the hood.

5 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

That's definitely game dependent.  Does a very powerful CPU fix Stray, for example?

Just now, crispy4000 said:

So much blame for this falls on Epic.  I bet games that actually do a good job, like Days Gone and Gears 5, had to do a lot of tweaking under the hood.

That's very game dependent.  Does a very powerful CPU fix Stray, for example?

No idea, found the game to be not at all what I wanted out of it so I refunded after like 30 minutes. But I didn't say fix! I said less pronounced! Very big difference. If a powerful CPU that currently exists could eliminate stutter, that'd be neat.

I've found the problem to be somewhat exaggerated in general, but that might be because none of the games I actively play suffer from the issue. The only one that really sticks in my craw is Dead Space remake, that son of a bitch. I still post on their forums, giving EA shit about it.