The 2024 spring anime season is starting early...

Looks like we're starting the spring season early. You don't normally see anime start popping up for another week or two, but we've got one videogame tie in that needs sorting out.

Unfortunately, Toriyama didn't make it in time to see a wider audience enjoy his wildly under-appreciated Mad Max meets Dragon Ball short series. The first seven episodes are out on Hulu TODAY. The first 6 episodes of this new anime will recount the events as told in the 1999 manga. The seventh episode will begin a new arc Toriyama wrote specifically for this anime series. That arc will run for 7 episodes bringing the series to a total of 13 leading up to the release of the Sand Land game coming out April 26.

Also coming out in April is Kaiju No.8...

I've been reading the manga since the first chapter. This should do very good as anime, so here's hoping this adaptation is good. Who doesn't like stuff where folks are fighting kaiju while using kaiju parts to power their weapons and armor?

Wait, is this actually another season of Black Butler? I had to look it up and sure enough, it's been a full decade since the last season...

Speaking of anime that's a long time in the making, Fujiko Fujio is getting another new anime? You might not know the pair, but you've certainly at least heard or seen Doraemon at some point. It's been some 35 years since the last Time Patrol Bon anime. Now we've got a new season hitting Netflix in May...

I am all for more Korean manhwa getting the anime treatment...

Nerdy twig of a kid takes on all the bullies in town to rack up YouTube views. The first season of the manhwa was a ton of fun, so here's hoping this anime is too.

For a moment, I thought we'd be seeing more manhwa getting animated, but nope, we've just got a manga sharing the same name of a wildly popular manhwa series that's still running. Let's blame an editor over at Kodansha for not Googling the name of their new manga. Either way, if you want more delinquents beating the shit out of each other, Wind Breaker will do that for you.

What's the opposite of high school delinquents punching each other in the face? Some cute girls trying to form an anonymous musical group? Sure. If anything, Jellyfish Can't Swim at Night certainly has some pretty animation...

Speaking of music, there's also Hi Dive's Whisper Me a Love Song. This one is more romance/drama, though...

We've got to even out the world. Whisper Me a Love Song may be a rare lesbian romance anime, but you know what's even more rare? A gay romance anime, and we've got one coming up with Welcome Home...whose title Crunchyroll decided not to translate...

Thinking about it, we aren't getting too many shoujo romance anime these days. We do have A Condition Call Love coming out next month...

Let's not be ageist. Old people can love too in Grandpa and Grandma Turned Young Again streaming...who knows where...

Am I missing any demographics? I guess elves deserve love in An Archdemon's Dilemma: How to Love Your Elf Bride...

Fuck it, vampires are also allowed to love in Vampire Dormitory...

Lot of romance and isekai anime this coming season. I'd link to all the isekai, but they've all got titles like...

As a Reincarnated Aristocrat, I'll Use My Appraisal Skill to Rise in the World...

Chillin' in Another World with Level 2 Super Cheat Powers...

I Was Reincarnated as the 7th Prince So I Can Take My Time Perfecting My Magical Ability...

There should be something for everyone.

Oh! CLAMP has done some work for a new anime on Netflix? I have a hard time turning down new stuff from them, so I am definitely checking this one out...

• Hype 1

This coming in October but I’m so hyped for this one 

nothing really jumps out to me this season so I will wait a bit to see what is good.

Finished jujutsu kaisen season 2 on vacation. Goddamn the animation is fantastic

2 hours ago, Brian said:

This coming in October but I’m so hyped for this one 

nothing really jumps out to me this season so I will wait a bit to see what is good.

Finished jujutsu kaisen season 2 on vacation. Goddamn the animation is fantastic

Dandadan is my most looked forward to anime this year. Science Saru is also a phenomenal choice for studio. We've still got to get through the whole spring and summer seasons, though.

There are a bunch of anime returning for new seasons this spring. You've got the third season of Reincarnated as a Slime, The Irregulare at Magic High School, Sound Euphonium, and Konusuba. The second season of Tsukimichi. Another season of Demon Slayer, One Piece, My Hero Academia. Those are all mostly eh for me. I might catch an episode here and there to relive a part of the manga I really enjoyed, but that's about it. I think the biggest hit this season will probably be Kaiju No. 8, assuming it's a good adaptation. It does have some real talent working behind the scenes, so I'm hopeful it'll be good. I also think Viral Hit could be a nice sleeper. The first few arcs of that manhwa are so much fun. If the anime can translate that onto the screen, we'll be in for a good time.

• 2 weeks later...

Season's started. Sand Land is pretty great. I haven't caught up to the new content quite yet, but I'm really looking forward to whatever Toriyama had in mind for Sand Land beyond what he included in his manga way back in 99.

Wind Breaker is pretty fun. Cloverworks really can animate a fight scene. I liked the first episode. I'm always down for high school kids with hearts of gold beating the shit out of each other.

HiDive really fucked up with Jellyfish Can't Swim at Night. First episode came out today and they released it with no subtitles until very late tonight. By that point, I had already watched a sea-side broadcast. This feels like a pretty run of the mill music anime, only it's so pretty. Just all around lovely directing and animation. Way better than what you'd expect for a music anime that isn't Bocchi the Rock.

• Hype 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else watching anything this season?

Kaiju No 8 is a pretty good adaptation. I am a fan of the source material, so I'm happy the anime is doing it justice. Same goes for Viral Hit. Viral Hit can be a tough watch, though. It is about a small kid trying to beat up bullies, so there's a lot of bullies beating down helpless kids. Still a good manhwa, especially when it starts picking up steam.

Also, I've got a fun sleeper hit. Train to the End of the World. The anime was not at all on my radar, but I'm loving it three episodes in. It's a weirdo, monster of the week sort of thing. I can barely describe the anime without sounding like a crazy person. Some tech company rolls out 7G and it tears apart the fabric of reality. Some people turn into animals, others become mushrooms. It's so delightfully weird.

Random, but what the hell is up with all the music anime this season? Whisper Me a Love Song was pretty cute. However, it's criminal that of all the musicals this season, the anime with the best music was not licensed to stream anywhere outside of Japan. Girls Band Cry, easily, has the best music of any of the musicals airing right now. I mean, that's not a very high bar to clear since the only musical anime in recent memory with legitimately good music is Bocchi the Rock. Still, that feels like an odd miss to just pass up a Toei anime starring a bunch of fresh faces from a talent hunt across Japan.

As primarily a dub viewer (though I watch plenty of shows subbed since many don't get a dub, but I have to wait to find that out), I usually wait until the dub for the entire season of a show is out before watching (which is usually a season or two after the original airing), but I do keep up with what could be good each season as things come out so I know what to keep an eye out for to watch later. A lot of stuff @Ghost_MH mentioned were also shows I definitely noted as having potential as well. I'm not sure which anime I'll be watching next, probably the first season of the reboot of Rurouni Kenshin (dubbed), but there's plenty I'm interested in. I'll definitely be watching My Hero Academia season 7, but probably after the entire dub for the season is out so I can binge it. These were the anime I noted from this spring season (so far):

-Kaiju No. 8: I'm definitely interested in watching this, it's already getting great reviews

-Wind Breaker: looks fun and a bit different than the slew of isekai and romance anime we get inundated with, has potential but could be bad

-Go! Go! Loser Ranger!: not really my kind of show (I think) but it's getting great reviews already so it may be worth noting

-Mysterious Disappearances: a mystery/supernatural show that looks different from the norm; has potential but not enough out there yet

-Jellyfish Can't Swim in the Night: not really my kind of show but it's getting a lot of praise for stellar animation even if it is a girl music group show

-Viral Hit: looks very different than what we usually get in this genre and I'm always down for good action and fight scenes; has potential

-Train to the End of the World: if this is more like Sonny Boy and less like what we typically get in the adventure genre, this could be a sleeper hit

-The Fable: I have no idea if this will be good but a story of a hitman who is ordered not to kill for awhile with an entirely adult cast is potentially refreshing

-Yatagarasu: The Raven Does Not Choose Its Master: historical fantasy from Studio Pierrot, who brought us The Twelve Kingdoms? Could be good

-Tonari no Yokai-san: this is already getting good reviews for a slice of life show that sounds like it could be a gentler version of Kino's Journey or Mushishi

-The Grimm Variations: this ONA adapting the Brothers Grimm stories by Wit Studio sounds like it has a lot of potential, so probably worth keeping an eye on

And that's it for the most part. Everything else this season looked pretty typical and cliche, again with an absolute flood of isekai or game or romance/ecchi/comedy/school shows. Still, a lot of potentially good stuff this season.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

-Wind Breaker: looks fun and a bit different than the slew of isekai and romance anime we get inundated with, has potential but could be bad

I have such a soft spot for tsundere leads in action series. We really don't get them all that often. Haruka being a try hard cupcake that can actually kick some serious ass is a lot of fun. I'll definitely keep up with your one and then maybe even pick up the manga afterwards. I already have the manga bookmarked in the Kodansha's app.

An English dub is coming...

Should note. This is based on my impression after 3 episodes. It could certainly fall off from here, but Cloverworks has a damn good track record.

• Hype 1

10 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I have such a soft spot for tsundere leads in action series. We really don't get them all that often. Haruka being a try hard cupcake that can actually kick some serious ass is a lot of fun. I'll definitely keep up with your one and then maybe even pick up the manga afterwards. I already have the manga bookmarked in the Kodansha's app.

Should note. This is based on my impression after 3 episodes. It could certainly fall off from here, but Cloverworks has a damn good track record.

Yeah, CloverWorks' involvement definitely helped in noting this show above others. And a dub! Tsundere leads make for frequently crazy ass times so that helps build the hype meter. Keep me posted but if it's strong 3 episodes in that's a good sign.

21 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This showed up in my feed today.

Perfect series to watch while I wait for Kengan Asura Season 2 Part 2 and the Kengan/ Baki Crossover.

This is one that's definitely on my radar but since it hasn't started yet I left it off my list since I'm unsure if it'll be as good as Kengan Ashura or Baki with no reviews or word of mouth yet but it looks good. Definitely has potential I think.

I finished Solo Leveling. I think the premise is interesting but the show spends so little time world building that it feels more like a vehicle for fights which is a shame. 

I started Wind Breakers and breezed through the first 3 episodes. I have high hopes for this one. 

• Hype 1

So how is Delicious in Dungeon not the official anime of this forum? It's a dungeon crawler that constantly gets interrupted by discussions of food.

It started last season and is on Netflix with a simuldub, so new episodes in multiple languages every Thursday. 

It's such a good series. Also, all the food looks great.

1713163887-4963-1024x576.png

• Thanks 1