A couple of PC parts questions. [edit] Now with setup questions.

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

What about this other one by the same company, Fractal Design Pop Air Mid-Tower Case, which is similar to the first one, first one has no RGB lighting in the fans and this one does but I can turn the lights off right?

That cooling should be sufficient for the build you have. The "standard" RGB fan has two cables per fan, one for power and one for lights. Either don't plug them in, or configure the RGB to be turned off in software or BIOS. They probably also sell a SKU that has non-RGB fans if you can find it. Lots of these cases do have options where all they change is either the color, side panel, and/or fan configuration with all other things being equal.

Well this CPU cooler hasn't moved since 5 AM yesterday on the Amazon tracking so I it's almost certainly not arriving today. So no loss on waiting for a case to arrive too I guess. 

On 3/14/2024 at 11:37 AM, cusideabelincoln said:

Oh yeah, I forgot a cooler. You can get a good air cooler for $40+ or a liquid cooler for around $100. You don't need to spend much, in fact most of the price of spending more is really about making it look cool with RGB and stuff.

Video decoding will be handled by the GPU. The Intel processor will be better if you do productivity that needs more cores, like video editing and such. I'd lean more towards the AMD CPU for your situation, and it's also rumored the next gen of AMD CPUs are going to be a big improvement and should be compatible with the motherboard. The motherboard has multiple PCIE 5.0 slots (one for an SSD, one for a GPU) in case that becomes relevant in the future.

Revised list:

PCPARTPICKER.COM

This cooler looks like it's the same thing as the one on your list right? Different Amazon listing, reordering from the link in your list it says I wouldn't have it until April 8, this one says I could have it in a day or two. 

On 3/29/2024 at 8:07 AM, cusideabelincoln said:

Ah, no they aren't universal. They can be, but a lot of coolers require you to take it off. Then they have you screw new brackets into the backplate, and those new motherboard brackets attach to the adapter brackets on the heatsink. I guess bracket isn't a very precise term here, but some require this method:

Trying to follow this video and I'm a bit confused about what to do with this:

g8Mb1ez.jpeg

AUiBqbi.jpeg

Seems like forcing the lever thing closed would crack the CPU so do I just ditch this and the metal backpiece in the second pic and then it's just the cooler that keeps the CPU secured to the motherboard? Or do you really just keep going even when it feels like you're putting too much pressure on the CPU?

cc @Spork3245 @AbsolutSurgen

Searching around for other installation videos I saw someone remove the clampy thing and put this on instead, but I don't see anything like that in any of my boxes.

2HGjbky.png

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Searching around for other installation videos I saw someone remove the clampy thing and put this on instead, but I don't see anything like that in any of my boxes.

2HGjbky.png

This one is just an aftermarket clamp that can possibly lower temperatures a little bit since it presses down on the CPU more evenly than the stock lever does, meaning the heatsink makes better contact. It's not necessary.

34 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

The lever mechanism should stay on. I haven't personally done an AM5 build, but as long as you lined the CPU correctly into the socket you should be good to go. The CPU does need that tension to create good contact with the pins in the motherboard.

Okay cool, pushing through it was fine, it just felt like an unnerving amount of pressure required initially.

• Jason changed the title to A couple of PC parts questions. [edit] Now with setup questions.

So I'm trying to get the Xbox app set up so I can use the Xbox Accessories app for my Xbox controller and headset and keep getting this on the Xbox app...what do I do here? Googling/reddit isn't being helpful. Windows 11

image.png

5 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Windows fully updated and logged into a Microsoft account?

Logged into a Microsoft account in the store, looks like I do have a big cumulative update showing in Windows Update so grabbing that now.

Both problems are still present after running the cumulative update. Looking in Windows Update again there's a "cumulative update preview" but I assume I shouldn't need a preview update to be up-to-date right?

Apparently it's a pretty rampant issue that's been going on for at least a year that this just doesn't work with Windows 11. Scattered reports of people fixing it themselves but of course no useful details on how to replicate. ngl tempted to just wipe this drive and do a Windows 10 install instead.

Okay finally found a set of instructions that fixed the Xbox app problem. Putting them here for posterity too.

https://old.reddit.com/r/XboxGamePass/comments/15oyyn3/work_around_for_windows_xbox_app/

It seems like an update to the Windows Xbox App or Game Services has broken the app for anyone trying to sign in for the first time. When the Xbox Apps opens it becomes unresponsive, you can't click anything and the only way to close it is via task manager.

Here's the simple fix:

1. Open Task Manager and force end the Xbox App
  2. Open Xbox Game Bar (Windows key+ G)
  3. Sign into you're Xbox Account inside of the Xbox Game Bar
  4. Now that you signed in you can once again open the Xbox App and everything should be working. If so, you're all done.

If you're having issues with Game Services, then follow these steps.

1. Run Powershell as admin
  2. Copy/Paste this command then press enter to delete Game Services: get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers
  3. Then Copy/Pase this command and press enter to reinstall Game Services: start ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9MWPM2CQNLHN
  4. If needed repeat the 1st fix.

Now onto fixing the issue with the bluetooth not working until after I've logged in...which I don't think I'm doing until tomorrow at this point.

Looks like the Bluetooth problem was that I was using an old USB Bluetooth adapter instead of the mobo Bluetooth--I didn't initially realize it had Bluetooth. Installing the mobo Bluetooth driver did it, I did get some laggy typing initially but I guess the wifi antenna that came with the mobo also works with Bluetooth because putting that on fixed the lag so seems like the lag was just a weak Bluetooth connection.

• 2 weeks later...

So things have mostly been working smoothly but I'm noticing that my RAM usage is showing as out of 63.2 GB in Task Manager when I have 64 GB (2x 32 GB sticks). Is this normal or is this bad RAM/slot or memory not seated quite right?

image.png

[edit]

Think I figured it out.

image.png

• Halal 1