Have any of you ever set up remote access into your computer while not at home?

Jason

2 hours ago, dualhunter said:

Ideally you'll want to either research services for this or get a router with VPN support so that you don't have to expose RDP to the internet. What do you want to do once connected?

I'm unsure if I can use my own router with my internet service. Do you have recommendations on services?

What I'm thinking is simply using the Microsoft RDP software on my Macbook to use my Windows machine remotely. This way I can do stuff like get at something that I forgot to move up to Dropbox before going on the trip, and when you're abroad a lot of bank services etc detect you're on a VPN and don't like it, so you can get around that by just RDPing into a stateside computer and then all the bank services see you as being at home.

I've never used any of those services so I'm not in a position to recommend any. IIRC Ominous has, so if he still does he might be able to help. If it's just for files, a Microsoft 365 subscription comes with 1TB of cloud storage (you can also get just the cloud storage but I think the pricing is such that you're better off with the Office package) and it can move stuff like your desktop and documents onto OneDrive and then you have everything in the cloud all the time and don't have to worry about moving anything before a trip, just access OneDrive from the Mac or your phone, the PC doesn't even need to be on.

Why not just use TeamViewer or Splashtop?

Teamviewer: 

WWW.TEAMVIEWER.COM

Remote desktop access solutions by TeamViewer: connect to remote computers, provide remote support & collaborate online ➤ Free for personal use!

Splashtop: 

WWW.SPLASHTOP.COM

The best remote desktop access solution. Supports Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and Chromebook. Save up to 80% compared to other remote desktop solutions.

5 hours ago, Hurricane Game said:

Why not just use TeamViewer or Splashtop?

Teamviewer: 

WWW.TEAMVIEWER.COM

Remote desktop access solutions by TeamViewer: connect to remote computers, provide remote support & collaborate online ➤ Free for personal use!

Splashtop: 

WWW.SPLASHTOP.COM

The best remote desktop access solution. Supports Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and Chromebook. Save up to 80% compared to other remote desktop solutions.

I'd like to be able to actually use the computer remotely not just access files. 

Looks like TeamViewer has a history of covering up breaches, but looks like people like Splashtop well enough so maybe I'll give that a try for my upcoming trip. 

2 hours ago, Jason said:

I'd like to be able to actually use the computer remotely not just access files. 

Looks like TeamViewer has a history of covering up breaches, but looks like people like Splashtop well enough so maybe I'll give that a try for my upcoming trip. 

For what it's worth, I prefer Splashtop over Teamviewer.