American replicator.

My first thought was that "Replicator" definitely sounds like the name of a military autonomous weapons system that goes rouge in a B movie.

My second thought was that after seeing the war in Ukraine unfold, it makes a lot of sense to put an emphasis on lots of small, relatively disposable drones.

My third thought was that they're really hyping up the PLA in order to sell the as of yet undetermined cost of this program. Yeah, we could never hope to match China's military in numbers, which is why their air force is the 5th largest in the world (by number of aircraft), behind the US Air Force, US Army, US Navy, and the Russians. And sure, they've got more military navy vessels than we do, but by tonnage it's not even close. As far as I can tell we even still have more tanks, not that the sheer numbers are doing Russia much good at the moment.

I think we spend way too much on defense, but if we're spending that money then building systems to mass assemble and control fleets of cheap drones seems like a good way to spend it. What I don't think we need to do is over-hype the capability of China or the likelihood of mass conflict in order to drum up even more money for the military industrial complex. This seems like a fine direction to take, but why the timeline of 18-24 months? What's the rush?  One Commander's memo that starts off with "my gut tells me"?

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, TwinIon said:

My first thought was that "Replicator" definitely sounds like the name of a military autonomous weapons system that goes rouge in a B movie.

The fact that it's coming from the Air Force feels like it confirms my assumption that this is some DoD person who's super into Stargate.