Random: Any gadgets or tech that you would recommend to anyone?

5timechamp

Not really a gadget, per se, but I have some old tablets that I've framed and turned into digital signage with DAKboard around the house that I find wildly helpful. Sure, I have a calendar on my phone, but a digital calendar with weather and stuff that's just there all the time in my office or in my kitchen is so stupidly handy.

Which reminds me, I need to update the one in the kitchen. It has a Twitter feed of the local schools since that was often the first place they announced school closing, but they were bumped from Twitter since there's no way the school district was going to pay for API access.

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Not really a gadget, per se, but I have some old tablets that I've framed and turned into digital signage with DAKboard around the house that I find wildly helpful. Sure, I have a calendar on my phone, but a digital calendar with weather and stuff that's just there all the time in my office or in my kitchen is so stupidly handy.

Which reminds me, I need to update the one in the kitchen. It has a Twitter feed of the local schools since that was often the first place they announced school closing, but they were bumped from Twitter since there's no way the school district was going to pay for API access.

I'd be really curious to see the setup of these digital signage setups, if you're willing/able to share. I've got some old tablets also that I'm not sure what else to do with them beyond recycling. 

To answer the OP:

- Wireless noise-cancelling headphones are a game changer if you work in a noisy office (I have the Sony WH-1000XM3s) or do much flying. 

- Google Nest Minis in every room means I can play music throughout my apartment, get info (weather, calendar notifications, etc.) wherever and a Google Nest Hub in the kitchen lets me watch Netflix while doing dishes. :daydream:

21 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I'd be really curious to see the setup of these digital signage setups, if you're willing/able to share. I've got some old tablets also that I'm not sure what else to do with them beyond recycling. 

Don't mind. The one in my office is surrounded by bills and lawyer notes and stuff, so I'll skip taking a picture of that one, but I can snap a screenshot of what's actually being displayed. For this one, I grabbed a cork board, Dremel'ed out a square in the middle of it to mount the tablet in and cut down a small frame to cover up the frayed cork that wasn't exactly smoothly cut up. Go figure, cork doesn't like tiny saw teeth.

veGK7pM.jpeg

The one in my kitchen is mounted on a canvas board hang up stuff like kids' tests or birthday invitations. It's currently covered in graduation certificates.

09aIFz1.jpeg

Much easier to do since there was a lip that allowed me to hide the cables without cutting anything. I just drilled out a small hole to sneak out a a USB cable. I have an entire wall that's half covered in magnetic paint that serves as my fridge for the kids stuff. I've got this one hanging right in the middle of it all. This one is actually an old Surface Go. Worst I have to deal with is it rebooting every so often because Microsoft pushed out some new Windows updates. Well, that and the upper right hand corner is empty because Twitter killed API access. Random, but I also have a QR code in the bottom right that visitors can easily scan to jump on my guest wifi.

It's super handy and way better than letting these old tablets just sit in a drawer until their batteries explode.

• Halal 2