Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin (aka "Company of Sigmarite Heroes") - reviews from OpenCritic posted

The Nighthaunt are a horde of ravenous ghosts powered by dark magic. A newly revealed addition to this upcoming game, they're fast, numerous and proved more than a match for me during my hands-on with the game's third campaign chapter.

The mission itself was deliciously atmospheric. Our Stormcast Eternal heroes had stumbled upon an ancient temple which turned out to be very, very haunted. One thing led to another, and the do-gooders quickly found themselves surrounded by ghosts. Try as I might to secure the mission's three objectives, I simply couldn't push back the Nighthaunt tides in time.

As an RTS veteran, it was refreshing to find myself so readily challenged by a campaign mission. Though my days in Starcraft 2's Diamond League are far behind me, my love of clicking on little people to get them to do stuff is not. Having found the 1v1 skirmish mode to be a fun, if formulaic form of PvP, Realms of Ruin's story mission was refreshing in its demands.

In an asymmetrical battle by design, I found myself forced to think outside the box, keeping my army as mobile as possible to avoid being spread too thin. This, in itself, was enough to elevate the Realms of Ruin experience, rivaling some of the best PC strategy games out there.

warhammer-age-of-sigmar-realms-of-ruin-c
WWW.WARGAMER.COM

The new single-player Conquest Mode for Warhammer RTS Realms of Ruin promises “difficult choices” and “rule-breaking twists”, says dev.

Warhammer RTS Realms of Ruin will launch with a replayable single-player Conquest Mode, as well as its previously revealed narrative campaign, according to Frontier

Developments. Details of the new game mode, which applies roguelike elements including randomised gameplay twists to the core RTS gameplay, were revealed in a press preview prior to Gamescom.

Conquest Mode will allow you to play with all four of the game's Age of Sigmar armies, including the newly-revealed Nighthaunt. It's a score-chasing challenge, in which "players will face a variety of procedurally generated" 1×1 missions as they journey across a world map.

These missions use "rule-breaking twists" to "transform the conditions of conflict", according to Frontier's press release, tinkering with movement speeds, unit vision range, time limits, or "a myriad of other unpredictable factors".

Though Frontier doesn't mention an online leader board, it does state that you'll have to choose between grabbing additional lives, or raising your "bonus modifier", as each run progresses.

WAOS-Realms-of-Ruin-Cinematic-Hero500.jp
WWW.THESIXTHAXIS.COM

Things that go haunt in the dark.

We got to go hands-on with two more of the campaign story missions from Warhammer Age of Sigmar – Realms of Ruin, getting another sneak peek at what the full campaign is set to deliver.

There’s definitely the sense here that the expedition of Stormcast Eternals (basically fantasy Space Marines) to the realm of Ghur don’t know what they’re getting themselves into. Certainly, they will have expected to encounter the Orruk Kruleboyz that were known to have spread through Ghur, but even so, their vanguard has been ambushed and imprisoned, and there’s more insidious evils waiting for them.

To be specific about it, and as revealed during the Gamescom release date announcement trailer, the Nighthaunt, servants of Nagash will emerge out of the shadows, their ghostly apparitions coming in great numbers to besiege the Stormcast as they seek to secure a mysterious artefact.

Compared to the barren-looking biome of jutting rocks, sparse trees and patchy yellowing grass that seems to make up most of Ghur, the shift to the dark nighttime ruined city made for a good change of pace. The level structure also shifted dramatically from a winding and linear push through Orruk defensive lines and checkpoints, to a rushed defensive effort to spread and hold off regular Nighthaunt incursions across pretty much a whole map. It felt a touch desperate at times while trying to hold and control a set of ethereal chains, but the best RTS campaigns will make you feel the stress of a situation, while keeping the challenge manageable.

Built on similar foundations to classic Dawn of War and Company of Heroes, this game is all about controlling the map, with Arcane Conduits to seize and then use to generate resources, and as defensive positions to exert more of your will upon the enemy. Capturing an Arcane Conduit is all well and good, but unless you can establish an Outpost, it will quickly fall back into enemy hands, the front line of battle that they create swinging back and forth until one side or the other can solidify their hold.

4184154-warhammer.jpeg
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

The new Warhammer: Age of Sigmar offers what might be the best control scheme for an RTS on console.

One thing I do still struggle with is unit identification, especially where these ghostly folks are considered. Some of that is addressed by the icons present above a unit's head signifying what type of unit they are and where they are positioned in the broad "rock-paper-scissors" style of army-building, where units of a certain type are better suited to take on others.

The special abilities of units remain one of the most satisfying elements of Realms of Ruin. Pinning down your enemies with shielded, unbreakable Liberators and charging in from the sides with your Vanguard Hunters or using winged prosecutors to throw hammers from above is exceptionally effective should, you be able to pull it off.

However, as each unit has their own ability (or abilities), and you also need to keep an eye on unit health and be ready to hit that "retreat" button, the moving parts of Realms of Ruin were putting my micromanagement abilities to the test.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin (aka "Company of Sigmarite Heroes", 17 November 2023) - 10 minutes of Gamescom 2023 gameplay
warhammerageofsigmarrealmsofruin-gamesco
WWW.IGN.COM

Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin doesn't look like it will break the RTS mould, but it does reforge the magical era of cinematic strategy campaigns.

Dawn of War was, of course, the touchpoint that we identified in our first preview of Realms of Ruin. The first of the two missions I played certainly felt like it owed a great debt to that series’ design, with my squads of tanky, hammer-swinging Stormcast Eternals marching from capture point to capture point. Once seized, I could build fortifications atop them to prevent my sneaky Orruk Kruleboyz enemies from reclaiming them and cutting off my resources. Fundamentally, this is Dawn of War’s Listening Post system in a fantasy skin – and I don’t say that as a complaint.

It was the second campaign mission I played that showed Realms of Ruin in a more interesting light. Here I was battling against the newly-revealed Nighthaunt, a faction of ghosts that fight in packs. Naturally that means there’s a certain amount of Zerg comparisons to be made, but unlike Starcraft’s horde army the Nighthaunt don’t aim to blanket an area with cheap expendable units. Realms of Ruin operates at a smaller scale, with a limited number of squads that can survive for longer durations than many RTS units. And so the gangs of Nighthaunt Chainrasps that descended on my Stormcast felt as if they were slowly suffocating me rather than completely overwhelming my forces.

But for me, the story mode is still the biggest draw. Cinematic RTS campaigns feel something of an antiquity these days, but what I’ve played of Realms of Ruin transported me back to the good old days of lavish cutscenes, concept missions, and personality-filled battle barks. Even if it turns out to be something of a modern relic, Realms of Ruin will likely still be the Age of Sigmar game I’ve been hoping for.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin (aka "Company of Sigmarite Heroes", 17 November 2023) - Gamescom 2023 hands-on previews
  • 3 weeks later...
WWW.GAMEREACTOR.EU

You don't need to know the difference between Kruleboyz and Kharadron Overlords to pick up this RTS.

Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin isn't going to be impossible for new players to understand, as we discovered when chatting with lead designer Sandy Sammarco at Gamescom.

We chatted about the multiple factions in the game, the campaign and how many POVs it'll include, and more before getting around to the topic of newcomers. Warhammer Age of Sigmar is already an incredibly popular fantasy setting, but RTS fans looking for a new hit might feel put off by the fact they don't know anything about the universe.

However, Sammarco sees this game as both a great chance for diehard fans to get a new story as well as for new fans to get a jump into the setting of Age of Sigmar.

WWW.GAMEREACTOR.EU

We sit down with Sandy Sammarco, Lead Designer on Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin to discuss how this game appeals to diehard fans and newcomers to the Warhammer Age of Sigmar setting.

We sit down with Sandy Sammarco, Lead Designer on Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin to discuss how this game appeals to diehard fans and newcomers to the Warhammer Age of Sigmar setting.

WWW.GAMEREACTOR.EU

Whether you're a long-time fan or looking to dive into Age of Sigmar, this new real-time strategy has a lot of fun, great visuals, and an intriguing plot at its core.

Warhammer Age of Sigmar might have nearly been around for a decade at this point, but it can feel like we've not yet had a proper video game that represents Games Workshop's foray into its newish fantasy setting. Of course, there are games tied to Age of Sigmar, but nothing has really stood out as the game that you think of when the setting is brought up. Enter Realms of Ruin.

If you understand what I'm talking about when I say Dawn of War but fantasy (and a little bit better by these early impressions), then you know all you need to in order to get excited about Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin. But, for the uninitiated, this new RTS from Frontier takes place in the Warhammer Age of Sigmar setting. It gives us access to four playable factions, each with their own unique playstyle and a single-player story, multiplayer battles, and the roguelike Conquest Mode to work through as well. For our recent play session, we took a look at the story mode, where you take control of Sigrun, a Stormcast Eternal.

WWW.VIDEOGAMER.COM

We recently had hands on with the new Warhammer strategy offering from the minds of Frontier Developments

Warhammer Age of Sigmar Realms of Ruin has a lot to prove to those like me who are only tangentially familiar with Warhammer. When you pitch ‘Warhammer RTS’ to us, the first thing that comes to mind is Relic’s amazing Dawn of War series. I’m happy to say that, after some hands-on time with Realms of Ruin at Gamescom – while this game is carrying on that quality bar pretty well.

To fully explain Warhammer’s various sub-universes can take a bit of time, so we won’t bother here – but we will say that Age of Sigmar is often considered the more streamlined brother to 40K, and that’s reflected well here. Despite having very little experience, I found myself quickly settling into the fast-paced RTS action with a strong narrative focus. Indeed, an opening cutscene set the table, and I was quickly in control of a small but no-less formidable bunch of soldiers, heading to capture a number of nodes on the map in front of me. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin (aka "Company of Sigmarite Heroes", 17 November 2023) - Game Overview Trailer
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin (aka "Company of Sigmarite Heroes", 17 November 2023) - "Faction Focus: Nighthaunt" video
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin (aka "Company of Sigmarite Heroes", 17 November 2023) - "Crafting the Realm: Environments" video
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin (aka "Company of Sigmarite Heroes", 17 November 2023) - "Latest from the Realm" developer livestream
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin (aka "Company of Sigmarite Heroes", 17 November 2023) - "Feature Focus - Improvements Since Beta" video
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin (aka "Company of Sigmarite Heroes", 17 November 2023) - "Demo Overview" video
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin (aka "Company of Sigmarite Heroes", 17 November 2023) - "Feature Focus: Multiplayer" and "Heart of the Stormhost" videos
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin (aka "Company of Sigmarite Heroes", 17 November 2023) - "Faction Focus: Disciples Of Tzeentch" video
  • 4 weeks later...

Game Information

Game Title: Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin

Platforms:

• PlayStation 5 (Nov 17, 2023)
  • PC (Nov 17, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Nov 17, 2023)

Developer: Frontier Developments

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 71 average - 38% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

PlayStation Universe - John-Paul Jones - 8 / 10

One of the best surprises of the year when it comes to the strategy genre, Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin generously lavishes a glorious amount of detail on its presentation of the tabletop Age of Sigmar setting from which it derives. Though its more streamlined tactical beats might prove too simplistic for genre veterans looking for a broader dose of macro strategy, Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin nonetheless provides a gorgeously framed and immediately compelling RTS offering that offers an irresistible on-ramp for newcomers into both the Warhammer property and the RTS genre as a whole.

TheSixthAxis - Dominic Leighton - 8 / 10

Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realm of Ruin is a great-looking, well-tuned RTS that will keep Games Workshop fans happy for many hours.

God is a Geek - Mick Fraser - 7.5 / 10

Warhammer: Age of Sigmar - Realms of Ruin is a genuinely likeable RTS game that would benefit from a slightly faster pace.

GamingTrend - Ron Burke - 70 / 100

With four playable factions, excellent writing, and a compelling setting, Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin delivers a solid RTS, albeit one that takes little risk. A handful of bugs and design choices may hamper the fun, but it hits stride when it lets you be powerful and unrestrained.

VideoGamer - Antony Terence - 7 / 10

While Realms of Ruin looks great and plays it safe, zoom out from its Warhammer character models and fundamentals to spot unreliable troop controls that turn traps into tombs.

Spaziogames - Italian - 6.5 / 10

Gameplay-wise, Realms of Ruin should have offered a lot more to this adaptation of Age of Sigmar.

PC Gamer - Noah Smith - 55 / 100

Realms of Ruin is a clumsy RTS that's devoid of Warhammer's characteristic grim darkness.

Fextralife - Castielle - Wait for Sale

Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin is a challenging but flawed game with some interesting RTS mechanics but lacking in factions and extras. A worthy purchase only for hardcore fans of the genre or those who very much enjoy multiplayer and pvp aspects of these games

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Graham Smith - Unscored

I feel like I can let a lot of you know whether you'd like Warhammer Age Of Sigmar: Realms Of Ruin with just a few words: it's about micromanagement. Victory is dependent on rapidly issuing movement, attack and ability commands to several small squads of soldiers, and your units will pay a heavy price if your attention leaves them for more than a few moments.

Man, that PC Gamer reviewer really, REALLY hates the "Age of Sigmar" setting :lol:

The biggest issue with Realms of Ruin is fundamental to Warhammer: Age of Sigmar: The rebooted fantasy setting of the Mortal Realms is exceedingly dull, especially in contrast to the visually stunning Old World, lovingly rendered in the Total War series. 

For those unfamiliar with the difference between the Old World and Mortal Realms, imagine if everything you like about Total War Warhammer got sucked into a portal (this really did happen in the lore) and then a wizard turned everyone who ever lived into a League of Legends champion. It's so high gloss, so bereft of any of the characteristic Warhammer edge and grit—if Warhammer Fantasy/40K are punk & death metal, then Age of Sigmar is Imagine Dragons. This is still the case with Realms of Ruin, especially in contrast to contemporaries Darktide and Total War: Warhammer 3, games that soak you in rich atmosphere.

A couple more video reviews:

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin (aka "Company of Sigmarite Heroes") - reviews from OpenCritic posted
48 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah sounded like he had an axe to grind. Everyone in the comments are calling him out on it.

I'm not sure how much you're aware of the utter insanity which occurred when Warhammer Fantasy Battles ended (and by that I mean the entire setting was wiped out in a Chaos-fueled apocalypse known as "The End Times") and Age of Sigmar began, but this should give you some idea:

WWW.ESCAPISTMAGAZINE.COM

Goodbye, hundreds of dollars of precious plastic! Welp, perhaps it was inevitable. Many gamers get angry about changes to games they love, but YouTuber Death, Holy Death has taken that rage to an extreme in protest of the cancellation of Warhammer Fantasy Battle and its subsequent replacement with the rebooted game significantly different rules from its predecessor – some of which are admittedly a bit silly. This man is, perhaps understandably...

• Sad 1

On 11/22/2023 at 11:13 AM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Needless to say, the relatively lukewarm critical and more than likely commercial reception for this game probably doesn't bode well for Frontier's tenuous financial situation at all.

And right on cue...

WWW.IGN.COM

Frontier Developments has issued a trading update following poor launch sales of its real-time strategy game Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin.

Frontier Developments has issued a trading update following poor launch sales of its real-time strategy game Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin.

Realms of Ruin launched on November 17 and promised eye-catching RTS gameplay set within Games Workshop's Warhammer Age of Sigmar universe.

According to SteamDB, Realms of Ruin Steam concurrent players peaked at 1,572. At the time of this article’s publication, just 129 were playing on Valve’s platform, and Steam's Realms of Ruin user review rating is 'mixed'.

Shares plunged nearly 20% on the news, in which Frontier admitted week one sales of Realms of Ruin were “lower than expected”. However, Frontier insisted it will “evolve and support” the game with post-release content, including premium DLC, and so it “expects sales to build over time”.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...