A few questions about upgrading to a PS5

ShreddieMercury

I've been considering getting a PS5 since they're so easy to find now.  I sold my PS4 Pro a while back and am wanting to upgrade (and I really want to play Returnal).  Really basic questions but I'm unsure about the following:

- Can I just sign into my existing Playstation ID? 

- Can I download any and all PS4 games that I bought digitally?  And is there still some confusion regarding versions of games with enhancements or not and which to download? 

- If I sign up for PS+, are some games downloadable or is streaming the only option?  Is it just PS1/2/3 games that require streaming, or is it all of them?

- I don't like Horizon or GoW, but is there anything else I missed from this extremely slim generation that I should look into that's PS5 only?

- Is HDR a bit borked like I've read or is that more of a game-by-game issue?  I've read about lots of supposed HDR issues, but wasn't sure if that was a system level thing or not.  I've been pretty spoiled with Xbox/Dolby Vision/Auto-HDR stuff up until now and haven't needed to configure anything specifically.

Thank you!

1. Yes

2. Yes.  Some games will run the PS4 version patched, but many have native PS5 apps.  A select few charge for an upgrade like Uncharted 4 collection and Ghosts.  On the plus side, you can play native PS4 versions if the next gen upgrade is problematic. (ie: Elden Ring, but you need to buy it digitally or a PS4 disc to do so)

3. Only the highest tier of Playstion Plus, Premium, has streamed versions of games from the cloud (as opposed to from your console).  PS3 games require cloud streaming.  The others typically don’t.  The Premium tier probably isn’t worth the money with the half-baked emulation and whatnot.

4. Returnal is difficult but amazing.  It’s got eldrich horror and Metroid Prime vibes combined.  Sorth a shot to see if you’d like it.  It’s also on PC now, as all new Sony games will be eventually.

5. No clue, but you can adjust HDR as a system level setting.

1 hour ago, ShreddieMercury said:

- If I sign up for PS+, are some games downloadable or is streaming the only option?  Is it just PS1/2/3 games that require streaming, or is it all of them?

- I don't like Horizon or GoW, but is there anything else I missed from this extremely slim generation that I should look into that's PS5 only?

Will add a bit to these since 1/2/5 were answered sufficiently:

- PS4/PS5 games can all be downloaded.

- Demon's Souls Remake/Returnal/Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart are PS5-only/not available on PS4