DP Review is Shutting Down

If you're into photography or ever did any research on buying a digital camera, you've probably come across DPreview. They've been around for 25 years and have been a fixture of the photography community for most of that time. I was unaware that they've been owned by Amazon since 2007, and Amazon has decided to shut it down.

I know for myself, when I wanted to know something about a camera, DPreview was probably the first place I'd look, and if I had a question that I wanted to ask, the forums were the place to do it. The forums on DPreview have such an established, professional, knowledgeable base of users (that I'm guessing skew far older than most of the forums I frequent), which  made it a unique place on the web to visit.

Like so many other types of media, I'm guessing that the audience has been consumed by YouTube channels. DPreview has a great YouTube channel, but the site itself has failed to evolve with the times, and while it's really sad to see it go, it's not terribly hard to see why.

• Shocked 1

Wow, yeah, that's been a staple forever... I used to spend hours on that site...

It's also becoming more and more niche as smartphones get better. I used to be much more into cameras back int he day, but I've completely given up on that world, as I realized that lugging around a DSLR isn't really all that much fun and when the candy bar sized device you have with you anyway can get a pretty dang good shot most of the time... you really stop caring so much.

I know it's more of a site for pros, but I'm sure the smartphone camera tsunami has also eaten into their viewership...

16 minutes ago, ort said:

Wow, yeah, that's been a staple forever... I used to spend hours on that site...

It's also becoming more and more niche as smartphones get better. I used to be much more into cameras back int he day, but I've completely given up on that world, as I realized that lugging around a DSLR isn't really all that much fun and when the candy bar sized device you have with you anyway can get a pretty dang good shot most of the time... you really stop caring so much.

I know it's more of a site for pros, but I'm sure the smartphone camera tsunami has also eaten into their viewership...

Yeah, I imagine that changed their demographic and overall reach by quite a bit. I suppose I thought that by now they'd either weathered that storm or settled into the smaller market that was left to them. Every once in a while they'd do some smartphone stuff or gesture to doing more general photography content, but it never seemed to pan out for them and they were never really able to build a wider audience (or at least that's how it seemed to me).

18 hours ago, ort said:

From a usability POV I only dropped the Fold 3 because it's not that much better then a regular Galaxy Ultra and a "200MP" camera looked like a worth while upgrade. 

The Fold 3 has that weird thing where it's not big enough for one full page of a novel being displayed and I was hoping to get into reading. Just better to have a gaming 2 in 1 laptop and a regular smart phone and call it a day.