Silvergate Capital announces that it will be "winding down" the operations of and liquidating the second-largest crypto bank

107202341-1677773583705-gettyimages-1246
WWW.CNBC.COM

Silvergate Capital announced on Wednesday that it will wind down operations and liquidate Silvergate Bank.

Silvergate Capital announced on Wednesday that it will wind down operations and liquidate Silvergate Bank. The company’s stock is down more than 25% in after-hours trading.

Silvergate is one of the two main crypto banking giants. The other is the New York-based Signature Bank which has more than $114 billion dollars in total assets. Silvergate has just over $11 billion.

“In light of recent industry and regulatory developments, Silvergate believes that an orderly wind down of Bank operations and a voluntary liquidation of the Bank is the best path forward,” the company said in a statement.

All deposits will be fully repaid, according to a liquidation plan shared on Wednesday afternoon. It is unclear, however, how the crypto-friendly bank plans to resolve claims against its business.

• Sicko 1

I still have no fucking idea how crypto works, but crypto has always felt like a giant Ponzi scheme. Almost like Office Space and their scheme that just got bigger then they intended too. They only escaped when the building burned down and I feel the same will eventually happen with crypto.

• True 1

6 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I still have no fucking idea how crypto works, but crypto has always felt like a giant Ponzi scheme. Almost like Office Space and their scheme that just got bigger then they intended too. They only escaped when the building burned down and I feel the same will eventually happen with crypto.

And Its Gone GIFs | Tenor

• True 1