What were the first PC games you remember playing and first PC you had at home?

Remarkableriots

On 1/21/2023 at 6:44 PM, ThreePi said:

Too young to really remember. My dad was a programmer in the 80s/90s so we always had computers growing up. The earliest games I recall playing a lot of were Wolf 3D, Commander Keen, and the original side-scrolling Duke Nukem. 

We always had various hand-me-down computers that we would play games on, but the first "new-in-box" computer that was solely for the purpose gaming and schoolwork was a Compaq Presario with an AMD 450mhz AMD K6-2 and 64MB of RAM. We eventually added an extra 128MB stick and Guillemot Maxi-Gamer Cougar TNT2 video card.

This was also my first CPU and video card! *high fives* :celebrate:

• Hugs 1

My dad built a computer that had a 80388, I think. Maybe an 80386. Maybe it was one and then later upgraded to the other. Mom wouldn’t let him spend the money to buy a whole PC, but he could upgrade components within a certain budget a couple times a year. 

First game I played on it was probably a ROM of Space Invaders or maybe Donkey Kong. I remember the PC had both. 

Wolfenstein, followed by doom, then text adventures.
we had gotta a pentium. It was 20 megahertz if I remember correctly, but you could press the “turbo” button To boost it to 25 lol.

My friends and I played sooo much doom.

my most played game on PC, ever, is the original Starcraft though. My friends and I were into warhammer, even back then, and StarCraft was a dream game. Sure, it was only warhammer in aesthetics (Blizzard wanted to make it 40k, but Games Workshop wouldn’t license the IP, so they made it anyway and called it Starcraft), but we played it daily for many years.

Couldn't tell you much about the computers specs we had, other than we had a Windows 3.1 machine and then got a new PC with Windows 95.

Earliest games I remember were Commander Keen, Mario's Missing, Miracle Piano (with an actual Piano too), King's Quest V, Space Quest IV, Alone in the Dark, and all of those Learning Company games. (And of course Carmen Sandiego and Oregon Trail at school.)

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Edit:

Can't forget about Jones in the Fastlane. We still regularly play this game. It holds up and the FMV acting is hilarious!

dosx-jones-in-the-fast-lane-cd-rom.png