Does anybody collect Sega Saturn stuff?

ShreddieMercury

Recently played Nights into Dreams for the first time and was blown away. I know it’s not the best time because retro stuff is crazy expensive, and I’ve heard Saturn in particular gets up there. Still, I’m thinking about trying to get a console and a couple of games and have an authentic experience.

Does anybody here have Saturn stuff or collect for this console? If so, any tips or things to be aware of? If I can get a console in good shape somehow, I’ll likely put an ODE in at some point, but I’d like to find a few of the less expensive games and try it out first. 

14 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I have one but a tiny collection. At one time I had a sizeable Japanese collection but sold it off and regretted it years later. =/

Don't go ODE (I hate systems having their drives stripped out), Get a Satiator. It's a bit expensive but it just slots in the back of the system and you're all set.

https://www.satiator.net/

Awesome this is great to know. Do you have any recommendations on systems? Does the satiator get rid of the region lock? It seems Japanese systems are cheaper but won’t play US games so that might not be the way to go.

1 hour ago, ShreddieMercury said:

Awesome this is great to know. Do you have any recommendations on systems? Does the satiator get rid of the region lock? It seems Japanese systems are cheaper but won’t play US games so that might not be the way to go.

Japanese imports are dirt cheap and there are a lot of great games from Sega & Capcom. The Satiator will bypass region restrictions. if you need a cheaper way of doing so for disc you can use an action replay.

https://www.amazon.com/Action-Replay-4M-Plus-enhancement-sega/dp/B008FPMBNG/

On 12/26/2022 at 4:14 PM, ShreddieMercury said:

What do you guys like more, the grey or white Japanese Saturn? Some solid listings for these consoles with games on Ebay. Will likely also get a satiator. 

White IMO. That is what I had in the past (currently have a USA unit).

The white Saturn I was looking at was sold unfortunately, but I found a grey one in amazing condition that came with two controllers, Sega Rally, VF2, and Fighters Megamix. That should arrive next week or the week after.

I then also bought a Japanese copy of Burning Rangers, as well as NiGHTS + Christmas NiGHTS and the 3D analog controller. Those will take longer to ship

Finally I ordered a Satiator! That should do it for now. Very excited to explore this console and library. Dreamcast is my favorite console, and I tend to think that videogames peaked with Sega’s 90’s output. But Saturn is a huge blind spot for me.

Last question, is the extra ram card necessary? I read that the AR carts actually wear out the pins in the slot because they don’t fit perfectly. I looked at a list of compatible games for the extra ram and nothing really jumped out at me. It seemed pretty minimal overall, but am I missing something huge if I just have the Satiator? 

• 4 weeks later...

Got everything set up, what a fantastic console!  Slowly discovering the library and it's packed with so many pure, brilliant video games, it's hard to fathom.  Playing NiGHTS with the 3D controller and I'm understanding why this is still the preferred way to experience this game.  It feels much smoother than the 360 port from what I could tell.  And the 3D controller!  I don't know why isn't considered an all-time excellent pad.  It's so comfortable and fun to use.

Question for anyone that has one.  I noticed that the analog stick has a bit of play when you twist it.  It's tight when actually pressing a direction and the deadzone is fine, but the stick itself will twist a bit from the top.  Is this normal?  So far it hasn't affected anything I tried with it, and I noticed that the Dreamcast sticks do the same thing so I assume that it's tied to the "hall effect" design of both, but I also wasn't sure if it was a problem or something wrong with the pad itself.

• 1 month later...

I have about 42 or more games I haven't counted. yeah this is one of the more expensive consoles to collect for and half are Japanese. I also have a Satiator that lets me play any and every game on the Saturn. My friend years ago gave me his modded Saturn and a copy of Street Fighter Vs Xmen. I made a video with him a few years ago. Also played Policenauts on the Saturn with the fan translation. 

WWW.SATIATOR.NET

I'm currently waiting for a Fenrir ODE to arrive in the mail.

I do own a handful of Saturn games. Probably the one really notable one I have is PowerSlave, which I got like a decade ago. It's more accessible today in the form of PowerSlave Exhumed from Nightdive Studios, but I'm still happy to have this 🥰

spacer.png