What backlogged games do you hope to get around to in 2023?

crispy4000

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Let me add two more games to the list of backlogged games I'll never finish... Wolfenstein 2 the World Order and The Saboteur. Both feature shooting Nazis... maybe I need to rethink that and play these games.

5 hours ago, stepee said:

The Saboteur is a very underrated game of that gen imo! Had some thick ass atmosphere.

The Saboteur is one of my favorite PS3/Xbox 360 generation games. It’s like WWII GTA. :p

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The fact that it's not backward compatible is criminal... it's LITERALLY the only reason I still have an Xbox 360 hooked up.

How does the 360 look these days? I can't even imagine really. In my memory the games looked so good. I remember seeing Kameo at a store before the 360 launched and I was stunned haha.

21 minutes ago, best3444 said:

How does the 360 look these days? I can't even imagine really. In my memory the games looked so good. I remember seeing Kameo at a store before the 360 launched and I was stunned haha.

I mean most games look good to me... I'm not nearly as into cutting edge graphics as a lot of you guys are. I'm old enough to remember when games were just blocks on a screen so pretty much from PS3/360 era on when gaming hit HD I've been pretty satisfied with how most games look. That's just me. Shit my Dreamcast is hooked up in my bedroom along with my OG Xbox. I'll pop games in and play THOSE from time to time.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I mean most games look good to me... I'm not nearly as into cutting edge graphics as a lot of you guys are. I'm old enough to remember when games were just blocks on a screen so pretty much from PS3/360 era on when gaming hit HD I've been pretty satisfied with how most games look. That's just me. Shit my Dreamcast is hooked up in my bedroom along with my OG Xbox. I'll pop games in and play THOSE from time to time.

I feel the same way, I often say that I’m still satisfied with how PS4 games look and it’s true. I’m still somewhat impressed by how good some of the best looking PS4 games look. I played Horizon Forbidden West and Shadow of the Tomb Raider this year, and was wowed by their graphics. And it’s the same for games like Ghost of Tsushima, God of War, The Last of Us Part II, Red Dead Redemption II, Uncharted 4/The Lost Legacy, etc. I think that they all still look really good, and I just don’t really need better graphics right now which is one of the reasons why I’m not really ready for PS5. I have hundreds of PS4 games, and their graphics are fine to me. I still play my Xbox 360 games, and they look pretty good to me too. I even still play some of my favorite original Xbox games. Fun factor matters to me more than graphics, because it doesn’t matter how good a game looks if it’s not fun to play.

• Halal 1

PS4 era games still look great to me, but not to a point where I’d really enjoy playing them on that hardware anymore, Pro and 1X included.  On the flipside, I don’t think that PS5/Series X hardware needs to be any more powerful to make them sing.  What PC does on top often seems a little extraneous or tacked on.

I’m still not totally convinced that PS5/Series X are up to the task for the long haul though.

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

They're clearly not because once this gen actually gets rolling we will be stuck with 30fps. It's pretty damn disappointing. 

I'm still not certain what standards will be going forward.  Ideally we'd see 40fps quality modes become the target, with enough headroom underneath for a performance mode.  But the latter could also get pretty ugly depending on the resolution and/or if lower FSR2 presets are resorted to.

There's also the question of how much the consoles might hold back PC.  They're only punching around a 2060/S with select RT effects.  Thank goodness FSR 2.x is supported, otherwise I think a lot of devs would be dropping RT entirely after cross gen.  They still might with UE5 on the way.

Then there's frame generation.  If FSR 3.0 wouldn't work on consoles, or make sense to use there, there's going to be a massive, generational-sized differential.

30 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Out of curiosity, do you have a high end gaming PC? Do you @crispy4000?

I used to back in 2010ish. I stopped PC gaming then and went strictly console. I'm getting back into the PC game next gen when I'm more financially stable and can really see some amazing visuals. I'm a graphics whore at heart so it only makes sense. 

24 minutes ago, best3444 said:

'm a graphics whore at heart so it only makes sense. 

Yeah that's what I was kinda getting at. I have a pretty good PC... several in fact but I don't care enough about graphics to deal with PC gaming even though its simpler than its ever been. Plus I prefer gaming on my couch in a relaxed settting... again, I know you can game on PC on a couch too but I don't care enough to set it up. Consoles are more than good enough for me.

Out of curiosity, do you have a high end gaming PC? Do you @crispy4000?

Nope, not anymore.  It's been pushed off for life goals at the moment.  I'm not as tempted these days with such insane GPU pricing.  Maybe mid gen.

Got a PS5 after a trade in to tide me over.  I'm mainly buying games like Elden Ring where stutter on PC is an issue.  Or Spiderman MM where it's so well tuned to the hardware that the PC upgrades would feel marginal, IMO.

27 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah that's what I was kinda getting at. I have a pretty good PC... several in fact but I don't care enough about graphics to deal with PC gaming even though its simpler than its ever been. Plus I prefer gaming on my couch in a relaxed settting... again, I know you can game on PC on a couch too but I don't care enough to set it up. Consoles are more than enough for me.

I've got a PC couch set up, and still play the majority of my games on it, in spite of it being an X1X equivalent.  PC gaming isn't as simple as console, but PC games are just so much cheaper if you're a bargain hunter.  Plus I hate online multiplayer fees -  if I own the game, nothing should be subscription gated as long as the servers are still up.

I've also built a couch GUI interface with video previews I enjoy so much more than the consoles. :)

UX3EuTx.jpeg

Your PC is the equivilent of a X1X? So Graphics don't mean that much to you either?

They do, in the sense that I'll wait on playing certain games if the PC version is significantly better than consoles.  I'm not touching Control just yet.  Or 30fps only console games like Plague's Tale Requiem.  Or as funny as it is to say it... Witcher 3.

Now seems like a terrible time to upgrade.  I'll build when I know it'd pass this gen with flying colors, without costing an arm and a leg.  Until then, I'll probably gravitate to prior gen games, indies and exclusives.  Same thing I did last gen before I built.

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah that's what I was kinda getting at. I have a pretty good PC... several in fact but I don't care enough about graphics to deal with PC gaming even though its simpler than its ever been. Plus I prefer gaming on my couch in a relaxed settting... again, I know you can game on PC on a couch too but I don't care enough to set it up. Consoles are more than good enough for me.

Yea, I had my PC hooked up to my big screen back then so I was gaming on my couch. Honestly the PS5 has impressed me so far and if they can manage 40fpsVRR  or offer a performance mode in future games I'd be pleased. 30fps really sticks out to me with getting spoiled by some of these games running at 60. We shall see.

Reading what stepee, vic, and spork have make me want the new shit but it's just not in my wheel house financially right now.