Fed Chair Powell says smaller interest rate hikes could start in December

107145033-1667415338726-2022-11-02T18450
WWW.CNBC.COM

Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell confirmed Wednesday that smaller interest rate increases are likely ahead.

“Despite some promising developments, we have a long way to go in restoring price stability,” Powell said in remarks delivered at the Brookings Institution.

The chairman noted that policy moves such as interest rate increases and the reduction of the Fed’s bond holdings generally take time to make their way through the system.

“Thus, it makes sense to moderate the pace of our rate increases as we approach the level of restraint that will be sufficient to bring inflation down,” he added. “The time for moderating the pace of rate increases may come as soon as the December meeting.”

I think the belief now is that moderately elevated interest rates over a longer time period serves the economy better than sharply increased rates over a shorter time period.

15 minutes ago, sblfilms said:
WWW.CNBC.COM

Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell confirmed Wednesday that smaller interest rate increases are likely ahead.

I think the belief now is that moderately elevated interest rates over a longer time period serves the economy better than sharply increased rates over a shorter time period.

I don’t think it’s as fun though.

17 hours ago, sblfilms said:
WWW.CNBC.COM

It’s an indictment of Powell and the FOMC that this was not obvious to them a long time ago.

9 hours ago, TyphoidHater said:

I am SOOOOOOOOO glad I refinanced when I did 

Me too, I just regret not taking a little more out. I did a cash-out refi to do some house projects but have more I want to do now and if I took even another 10-15k it would have only raised my payment by like another $20 a month.