Biden's directive to look at pot being a Schedule I drug could lead to its decriminalization... by 2024(!)

AP22279760707485-4x3-1.jpg?w=640
FIVETHIRTYEIGHT.COM

President Biden’s surprise marijuana reform announcement last week has mostly gotten attention for pardoning thousands convicted of simple possession of marijua…

The reevaluation is more than just an empty gesture. Experts like John Hudak, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution, said there's a very good chance of Biden's directive leading to actual reform — not decades from now, but by the end of his current term in office. "This is not just a blue-ribbon commission putting together a report," Hudak said. "This is a formal legal process that is required in order for the executive branch to consider a change in scheduling."

In other words, Biden just triggered a process that could end federal pot prohibition as we know it.

Schedule I is why federal agents can arrest people for smoking a single joint. It's why scientists can't easily study the drug. It's why most banks won't lend money to marijuana startups and why pot companies pay some of the highest federal tax rates in the country.

But in 1972, after then-Attorney General John Mitchell overruled the scientific commission's recommendation to decriminalize, marijuana became a permanent Schedule I drug. The decision would later become infamous when interviews with aides to former President Richard Nixon and recordings from Nixon's White House tapes showed that the administration was using that classification as a way to criminalize, in the words of former Nixon aide John Ehrlichman, the "antiwar left and Black people."

• Like 2

I’ll keep my fingers crossed and lite one up in honour of the news for my American friends here. 

I can’t wait to see what sort of research happens and what they find out. My dog Fozzie Bear has had digestive issues and has been on Prednisone for months now, but still had issues. When we had Buddy, he and Bud would share a bit of a THC pot cookie with my mom at night. It put them in a comfy sleepy place, especially Buddy with his situation. We thought Fozzie might of been too young and stopped giving him cookie, and his stomach issues came back. So we/vet put him on Prednisone with minimal results, but improved nonetheless. So 2 months ago we started giving him some cookie again and about 20mg of CBD, and noticed a HUGE difference. His poops went from hot runny messes to solid poops again, and started taking him down to a pill every other day to 3/4 days but kept up with cookie&CBD. The pill caused him to go outside 1-2 times in the middle of the night to pee because the pills made him thirsty. Even ran into another man walking his Golden and talked, mentioned his issue and he said to get him off the Prednisone because he thinks it slowly killed his past dog. Anyways we are now 9 days since his last pill, just cookie/CBD before bed, and still pooping normally. The CBD has fixed his issues better then the $80 of pills we had to buy every other month, sleeping almost every night now straight through and his energy level is through the fucking roof. 

I know this isn’t scientific but fuck do they need to study these plants and their various compounds like THC/CBD and the newest one on the block CBG. (and many more)

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• 1 month later...

In an ongoing case of what I suspect is a pattern of him not writing new material in ages (his gist is: drugs, like cops, are good), former CEB member now NYT correspondent, Trollpez, doesn’t even mention Bidens order to review the schedule status of Marijuana in todays NYT Morning Email. It does mention Biden opposes legalization however!

3 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

In an ongoing case of what I suspect is a pattern of him not writing new material in ages (his gist is: drugs, like cops, are good), former CEB member now NYT correspondent, Trollpez, doesn’t even mention Bidens order to review the schedule status of Marijuana in todays NYT Morning Email. It does mention Biden opposes legalization however!

He's like, eighth in the marathon to turn all DC political reporting into politico garbage.