DualSense Edge Controller

Spork3245

I’ve got multiple issue with it, especially for $200. 

First, and this is mostly for the “press” and influencers talking about the thing, but the swappable analog sticks should barely be applauded. Sony is still cheaping out with stick prone to fail. This is a bonus, not a selling point. It’s 3x the price of a standard controller and will still cost you $20 per stick that fails to replace them. And this is assuming nothing else fails on the controller. For $200 they should send you new thumb stick modules for the life of the controller.  

Only 2 backside buttons or paddles? I saw some nonsense Sony said about people accidentally hitting buttons on the back of controllers while playing. I’ve never had that issue, and if they were going to make them removable anyways they could just let you remove the two you don’t want to use so you don’t accidentally hit extra paddles/buttons. Like the Elite Series controllers. But know, they cheaped out, limited people to only two buttons and called it a feature. 

No ability to tighten or loosen stick tension. 

The swappable thumb stick tops all look to have the same convex top, which would include the tall stick. 

2 function buttons and none of them work in game. One seems dedicated to swapping profiles? Should have put both those function buttons on the back of the controller, gave them an option to be swapped for paddles, and made them usable in games and mappable. 

They claimed to have listened to pro gamers (siting this as for the 2 paddle limit) yet they never got feedback that trigger stops that turn the L2/R2 into mouse clicks would be what people want? Any controller that’s come close has had that be THE talking point of the controller. Like Scuff’s new controllers. 

So for $200, which is not the most expensive, but it’s up there. More than the Elite Series 2. But for that money Sony didn’t improve on pro controller designs. They didn’t even adopt every best practice and feature. You’re getting less functionality and customization with a worse battery life. I’m sure it will be fine. It just looks like Sony is cheating their fans at $200. It feels halfassed for a first attempt. It’s the “we have pro controller at home”, but Sony missed the part of the joke where the “at home” thing is cheaper.