Hemophilia B possibly cured through gene therapy delivered via virus

_125993069_elliottmason2.jpg
WWW.BBC.COM

A patient on the trial says his life now feels "completely normal", having grown up fearing getting hurt.

This is the less-common and less-severe version of hemophilia, but it's great news. It appears the gene therapy is a one-time treatment that theoretically could last a lifetime, but probably at least a decade.

• Like 2

The SMA community sends its regards. Biomechanically this is exactly the same as Zolgensma, except they can dose adults without the AAV virus killing their liver, probably because the liver is the intended target unlike SMA where it needs to cross the blood brain barrier to hit motor neurons, very cool. We still have no idea how long Zolgensma will last but I've saw a video the other day of a kid, who genetically should be on a vent or dead, running around with no SMA symptoms. 

The mRNA splicer in my fridge is cooler though. 

How much will the gene therapies cost? Current clotting factor injections can cost between £150,000 and £200,000 per patient per year

Zolgensma costs $2.1m so I suspect it'll be the same. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...