In a winning election season move, the Biden administration has cancelled oil drilling leases in Alaska

Isn't this actually one of those things that has no real bearing on anything but makes for great vaguely worded articles full of quotes from bad faith actors designed to provide good scare headlines to rile up an angry right wing dipshits who love to stroke their anger boners to whatever ridiculous meaningless shit their media masters are constantly barraging them with in order to keep them in a constant state of anger, outrage and confusion?

Or do I have this one wrong?

I mean, the first paragraph says it was canceled due to lack of interest. I don't pay that much attention to this crap, but people smarter than I who do tell me with good confidence that no amount of drilling is going to solve any of these problems and we're already drilling everywhere like crazy at rates never before seen.

• True 1

2 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

Yeah, this kind of stuff isn’t going to sway anyone. People who bitch about gas prices were never going to vote for Biden in any reality.

And much like his completely ill-considered release of stockpile from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, it will have absolutely zero effect on the price of oil.

25 minutes ago, ort said:

Isn't this actually one of those things that has no real bearing on anything but makes for great vaguely worded articles full of quotes from bad faith actors designed to provide good scare headlines to rile up an angry right wing dipshits who love to stroke their anger boners to whatever ridiculous meaningless shit their media masters are constantly barraging them with in order to keep them in a constant state of anger, outrage and confusion?

Or do I have this one wrong?

I mean, the first paragraph says it was canceled due to lack of interest. I don't pay that much attention to this crap, but people smarter than I who do tell me with good confidence that no amount of drilling is going to solve any of these problems and we're already drilling everywhere like crazy at rates never before seen.

You are probably spot on in your analysis.  But it's still bad optics to cancel these leases.  Instead of being able to say to the public that the Federal government is opening up all of this land to exploration (even if oil companies aren't biting), the administration and their Democratic allies will have to defend this move, all while prices are near all time highs.