Atlanta - Season 4 to debut in September

On 10/17/2022 at 11:05 AM, Greatoneshere said:

It's so good, I concur! Fans of the show found season 2 and moreso season 3 divisive. Some just want comedy chemistry with the cast and a straightforward story but I prefer this instead. Donald Glover and the crew are aware of it because their plot summaries for season 3 episodes were ridiculous when the season initially dropped. Let me know what you think of season 4 so far. Last Thursday's episode was another winner.

Season 3 definitely cranked up the "surrealist" aspects of the show significantly compared to the previous two seasons, but the main thematic througline for Season 3 was unquestionably the various and sundry ways that "white insecurity" manifests itself.

• Halal 3

17 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Season 3 definitely cranked up the "surrealist" aspects of the show significantly compared to the previous two seasons, but the main thematic througline for Season 3 was unquestionably that various and sundry ways that "white insecurity" manifests itself.

I wasn't a big fan of season three when I watched it earlier this year but upon rewatching the entire series in preperation for season 4, I appreciate it more and it TOTALLY fits with the overall "Universe" that the Glover brothers have created. I also think that a lot of season three was constructed the way it was because all four of the main actors are hot commodities now in Hollywood and it must have been a NIGHTMARE to get all of their schedules in alignment. Season 4 so far is return to form and if this series finishes as strongly as I hope it does, it will skyrocket up my list of all time favorite TV shows. So much of this show feels like it's been pulled from my own experiences :p

Man, last Thursday night's episode was another winner. This show can do anything, and it nails an intimate familial slice of drama well. Honestly, that could have functioned in some ways as a series finale for Donald Glover's character Earn (and Van). Addressed a lot that hasn't been addressed since season 1. Just three episodes left.

• Halal 1

53 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Man, last Thursday night's episode was another winner. This show can do anything, and it nails an intimate familial slice of drama well. Honestly, that could have functioned in some ways as a series finale for Donald Glover's character Earn (and Van). Addressed a lot that hasn't been addressed since season 1. Just three episodes left.

I'm actually all caught up with the series now!

That episode really did feel like a series finale for those two characters!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'm actually all caught up with the series now!

That episode really did feel like a series finale for those two characters!

Nice! I'm so glad you guys are checking out the show finally. I'll be watching next week's episode but I watch the show with my wife and she's going on vacation after that so I won't get to the final two episodes until November 14-15.

Damn this was a really great episode. So subtle and well written and Donald Glover going for the emmy clearly lol. I am curious about some of the technical choices for this series... this episode MIGHT have been shot on Super 16 millimeter. It had a 4:3 aspect ratio while all of the other episodes are at least 16:9. Hiro Murai is a very inetersting director... I look forward to seeing what else he does moving forward.

• Halal 2

• 2 weeks later...

Considering the afro-surrealist nature of the show, it was definitely appropriate that this series concluded in a way that I could only describe as

Spoiler

Inception-like

I can easily say without question that this series represents one of the most enriching and thought-provoking visual media experiences I've ever had and there are moments that will remain with me for a very long time, if not forever.

Bravo, Donald Glover and Hiro Murai.  Bravo indeed! :clap:

• True 1
  • Halal 1

My wife and I finally watched the last three episodes. Just great, subversive stuff. As a fellow minority who is a big fan of The Goofy Movie, that episode was great. And the ending of the show - really how it should go. I'll miss this show a lot but it went out strong. Also: 

Spoiler

I think it's real at the end. His reaction to Judge Judy at the end isn't even close to the same as the reaction they do show of him towards thicc Judge Judy ("damn!") so I think he's in the real world at the end.

• Halal 1