Dell courageously copies Apple...

Jason

The haptic touchpad seems like it should be fine, but I don't understand why they wouldn't even put an outline as to where it ends.

The keyboard itself looks like it might be a pain, given that it's flat without much spacing between the keys, but without hands on it's hard to say for sure.

What is certain is that the lack of a real function key set is an absolute deal breaker. I'd never buy a laptop with a capacitive row like that.

It's bizarre that this came out now. If this had come out shortly after Apple launched their touchbar, then at least you could say they were just following the market leader. Here we are months after Apple, after so much negative feedback, finally killed off their touchbar, and there's just no excuse.

26 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

The haptic touchpad seems like it should be fine, but I don't understand why they wouldn't even put an outline as to where it ends.

The keyboard itself looks like it might be a pain, given that it's flat without much spacing between the keys, but without hands on it's hard to say for sure.

What is certain is that the lack of a real function key set is an absolute deal breaker. I'd never buy a laptop with a capacitive row like that.

It's bizarre that this came out now. If this had come out shortly after Apple launched their touchbar, then at least you could say they were just following the market leader. Here we are months after Apple, after so much negative feedback, finally killed off their touchbar, and there's just no excuse.

Maybe Dell hired Jony Ive without telling anyone.

It doesn't even offer half of what the Touch Bar did either. I think it just lights up with two sets of buttons. It doesn't change based on your current app or offer slider controls or anything beyond the two sets of buttons it starts with.

19 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Dell is just copying Apple a little too closely. Months after Lenovo dropped the touch bar from their X1 Carbon series of laptops due to so much negative feedback, Apple came out with their own touch bar.

7 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Lenovo is back in the touch bar games...sort of.

LenovoLaptop-CROPPED-760x380.png
ARSTECHNICA.COM

Laptop screens seldom come this wide.

Asus says hold my beer:

final-760x380.jpg
ARSTECHNICA.COM

It's like a 17.3-inch OLED tablet that can fold in half.

Just now, Jason said:

Asus says hold my beer:

final-760x380.jpg
ARSTECHNICA.COM

I actually own the Lenovo version of this laptop.

akrales_201203_4316_0022.0.jpg
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

An incredible device that you should not buy.

It's not a great laptop and it's really quite chonky. That said, I love the idea. This as a thin and light paper running Windows 11 for ARM would be pretty damn great.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

Lenovo is back in the touch bar games...sort of.

LenovoLaptop-CROPPED-760x380.png
ARSTECHNICA.COM

Laptop screens seldom come this wide.

I feel like I've seen this before, but I couldn't quickly find it. It's probably more useful than the trackpad screens that Asus made a while back, but if you're going to throw a second screen in a laptop, I think the ZenBook Pro Duo's second screen seems potentially more useful.

53 minutes ago, Jason said:

Asus says hold my beer:

final-760x380.jpg
ARSTECHNICA.COM

I remember Lenovo's version of this. It seems like a very cool idea that I feel like wouldn't actually work well in the real world, at least not in the ways that I typically use my devices.

As someone that uses their iPad more than their phone or laptop, I still love the idea of a machine that can be both, but Windows software has a long way to go to make that doable. I wonder if the forthcoming ability to run android apps on windows will help make these kinds of things viable.

13 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I feel like I've seen this before, but I couldn't quickly find it. It's probably more useful than the trackpad screens that Asus made a while back, but if you're going to throw a second screen in a laptop, I think the ZenBook Pro Duo's second screen seems potentially more useful.

I remember Lenovo's version of this. It seems like a very cool idea that I feel like wouldn't actually work well in the real world, at least not in the ways that I typically use my devices.

As someone that uses their iPad more than their phone or laptop, I still love the idea of a machine that can be both, but Windows software has a long way to go to make that doable. I wonder if the forthcoming ability to run android apps on windows will help make these kinds of things viable.

Lenovo's version works pretty damn well as a laptop in the halfp open osition. The keyboard, however, is cramped and the trackpad tiny. Windows is ok when it comes to resizing things. Lenovo set up their driver to just make Windows act like it was connecting to a new monitor. It worked fine, even if it often resulted in things being either minimized or randomly maximized. It's biggest disappointment was how underpowered it was combined with the crazy chonk. The chonk made it really hard to use as a tablet.

I get what these companies are trying to do with additional screens. I still love Lenovo's idea from the W700ds.

w700ds1.jpg
WWW.ENGADGET.COM

We caught wind of this dual-screened ThinkPad last week, but now we've got some more details to get your mouths watering -- and your wallets running for cover.

What I really want to know is this. We have folding screens. Where is my ultrawide gaming laptop with a trifold screen?

21 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Lenovo's version works pretty damn well as a laptop in the halfp open osition. The keyboard, however, is cramped and the trackpad tiny. Windows is ok when it comes to resizing things. Lenovo set up their driver to just make Windows act like it was connecting to a new monitor. It worked fine, even if it often resulted in things being either minimized or randomly maximized. It's biggest disappointment was how underpowered it was combined with the crazy chonk. The chonk made it really hard to use as a tablet.

Thanks for the impressions. These laptops are awesome, but you rarely hear from someone who actually owns one.

dsfsdfs

21 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I get what these companies are trying to do with additional screens. I still love Lenovo's idea from the W700ds.

w700ds1.jpg
WWW.ENGADGET.COM

We caught wind of this dual-screened ThinkPad last week, but now we've got some more details to get your mouths watering -- and your wallets running for cover.

That thing was my dream laptop for a short while. I too still like the design.

13 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Thanks for the impressions. These laptops are awesome, but you rarely hear from someone who actually owns one.

dsfsdfs

That thing was my dream laptop for a short while. I too still like the design.

That's what I'm saying. I few years back Razer had this thing at CES when it was stolen...

projvalerie-og-1200x630-v1.png
WWW2.RAZER.COM

The world's first automated triple display laptop engineered with three high resolution 17.3 inch 4K displays, bringing you the ultimate mobile desktop.

Today, though, you could do something similar, but with folding displays and no bezel. I'd be down for a laptop with a 13" footprint and an ultrawide 21" display.