Proving that America is back to business as normal, Biden declares trade war on Canada

EDIT - Removed National Post trash article.

ev_2.jpg?w=500&quality=70&strip=all
GLOBALNEWS.CA

Watch Canada threatens new tariffs on US exports if electric vehicle tax credit approved Video Online, on GlobalNews.ca

tl:dw: Biden has proposed electric vehicle tax credit that would hit Canadian automakers (which are really American automakers) and the existing balance of auto manufacturing between the two countries. Historically, Canada has not placed tariffs on American vehicles as American manufacturers have built vehicles in Canada (as long as one vehicle is made in Canada for every vehicle purchased, the status quo is maintained). This tax incentive would change that (as many vehicles made in Canada are shipped to the US for sale), so Canada is threatening retaliation over this change to the status quo. Canada would likely heavily target Michigan as well as places with ties to the Biden administration.

More fun times ahead, if the US moves forward with the vehicle tax credit as-is (without including vehicles made in Canada).

I’m not sure if this is real or not, but if Canada is honestly trying to start a trade war over a PROPOSED tax incentive that currently only two vehicles on the market would even get, they can get fucked.

I’m not sure if you read the article Riley. I didn’t see any hemming or hawing in the BBB thread about this proposed tax incentive from any Canadians previously.

1 minute ago, Joe said:

Im honestly not sure if this is real or not, but if Canada is honestly trying to start a trade war over a PROPOSED tax incentive that currently only two vehicles on the market  would even get, they can honestly get fucked.

I’m honestly not sure if you read the article Riley. I didn’t see any hemming or hawing in the BBB thread about this proposed tax incentive from any Canadians previously.

Yeah Canada is pre-emptively threatening to retaliate, nothing is certain yet. From what has been reported in the Canadian press, the US hasn't been very willing to listen to concerns so far, which is why I imagine Canada is threatening action. Hopefully the US changes the tax incentive to align to the existing auto manufacturing balance between the two countries.

Also I am going to change the article because it's from the NP and they are a rag newspaper (which is why the article sucks).

15 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yeah Canada is pre-emptively threatening to retaliate, nothing is certain yet. From what has been reported in the Canadian press, the US hasn't been very willing to listen to concerns so far, which is why I imagine Canada is threatening action. Hopefully the US changes the tax incentive to align to the existing auto manufacturing balance between the two countries.

Also I am going to change the article because it's from the NP and they are a rag newspaper (which is why the article sucks).

Saying Biden declares trade war on Canada is also absolutely flabbergastingly ridiculous. We haven’t had a good Riley thread in a while though and I was starting to miss it :p

• Thanks 1

I'm all for pushing EVs, but I agree with the Canadians and (unfortunately) Elon that this particular credit was poorly designed and should be applicable much more broadly or scrapped altogether.

I'm also perfectly fine with Canada forgetting about the copyright stuff. I think there are good cases to be made for protecting IP as it pertains to patents and what not internationally, but Canada's 50 years after death copyright protection already seems egregiously long. Extending that to the 70 years demanded by the US is unnecessary at best.

These kinds of things are such blatant examples of how lobbying corrupts our legislation, and if Canada wants to throw some weight around on these issues, so much the better.

This is an aside, but: Let's say copyright is 50 years in Canada and 70 in the US. If someone makes a book in Canada for a copyright that is 55 years old, can that book be legally sold in the US? I would assume not "officially," but what about second-hand sales from previous owners, etc? Or does the copyright act/laws in the US make that book effectively illegal to begin with in the US?

21 hours ago, Joe said:

I’m not sure if this is real or not, but if Canada is honestly trying to start a trade war over a PROPOSED tax incentive that currently only two vehicles on the market would even get, they can get fucked.

I’m not sure if you read the article Riley. I didn’t see any hemming or hawing in the BBB thread about this proposed tax incentive from any Canadians previously.

No.  The implementation of a selective incentive on EVs that precludes Canadian production would be disastrous to the Canadian economy, and cost tens of thousands of jobs.  It would result in companies (i.e. GM/Ford) cancelling previously announced projects in Canada, and having the production moved to the US.  Once the capital is invested, and the Canadian plant is closed, it's never coming back.

It's clearly against CUSMA, and if these incentives are passed into law in the US, it would be a defacto trade war started by the US.

20 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

This is an aside, but: Let's say copyright is 50 years in Canada and 70 in the US. If someone makes a book in Canada for a copyright that is 55 years old, can that book be legally sold in the US? I would assume not "officially," but what about second-hand sales from previous owners, etc? Or does the copyright act/laws in the US make that book effectively illegal to begin with in the US?

It is illegal to sell that book in the US.  Is there a process by which a second hand book store would ever be charged for reselling it?  I don't think so.