Largest criminal trial in French history begins as 2015 Paris attack defendants finally face justice

5000.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Main suspect’s courtroom tirade on opening day of long-awaited trial angers survivors of 2015 attacks

Asked his name, he took off his mask to reveal a thick beard. “Firstly, I will say there is no God except Allah and Muhammad is his messenger.”

“Yes, we’ll get to that later,” replied Périès.

The suspect gave his date of birth as 15 September 1989. Asked his address, Abdeslam said he did not have one. His parents’ names? “The name of my father and of my mother has nothing to do with this.”

Asked what was his profession, he replied: “I have given up all profession to become a soldier with Islamic State.”

The trial is expected to last 9 months and involves nearly 2,000 lawyers, witnesses and survivors.

• 5 months later...

Subsequent articles on the trial:

1181.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Salah Abdeslam, giving evidence for first time, says he did not ‘inflict so much as a scratch on anyone’

4134.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Ex-president tells trial the government had no prior warning of Paris 2015 attacks

3500.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Zoe Alexander, whose brother Nick died in 13 November 2015 attacks, testifies at trial of alleged terrorists

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Group of 11 were forced to watch massacre and then used as human shields, trial over Paris attacks hears

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Witnesses to atrocity in Paris music venue that killed 90 talk of playing dead and trying to help the wounded

5616.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

First of 300 witnesses of suicide bombings and shootings give testimony in historic trial

3364.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Salah Abdeslam says attacks ‘nothing personal’ and François Hollande ‘knew risks’ of targeting IS